Monday 29 March 2021

DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI - EXPIRATION DATE (2010)

 


Synopsis/blurb....

In this neighborhood, make a wrong turn.

. and you're history.

Mickey Wade is a recently-unemployed journalist who lucked into a rent-free apartment - his sick grandfather's place. The only problem: it's in a lousy neighborhood - the one where Mickey grew up, in fact. The one he was so desperate to escape.

But now he's back. Dead broke. And just when he thinks he's reached rock bottom, Mickey wakes up in the past. Literally.

At first he thinks it's a dream. All of the stores he remembered from his childhood, the cars, the rumble of the elevated train. But as he digs deeper into the past, searching for answers about the grandfather he hardly knows, Mickey meets the twelve-year-old kid who lives in the apartment below.

The kid who will grow up to someday murder Mickey's father.

Another one from Duane Swierczynski that I liked - a lot. Just don't ask me to elaborate on the plot/resolution, because my brain and memory has turned to mush - possibly as a result of reading this book. Swierczynski's plots can often be a bit of a mind-f***!

Character, setting, pace, story, twists ... all present in an abundance. I THINK! 

Outcome - and this is where I scratch my head and wonder - I can't actually remember. All of which might lead you to think it's a bang average book. You'd be wrong.

I think I'm going to have to save this one for a re-read and why the hell not. Fun will be had.

4 from 5

Duane Swierczynski has been read and enjoyed before..... Secret Dead Men, The Wheelman, The Blonde, Severance Package, Fun and Games and Canary 

Read - January, 2021    


Published - 2010

Page count - 256

Source - purchased copy

Format - paperback

10 comments:

  1. It sounds really interesting, Col. That theme of going back to the past can be intriguing. I respect authors, too, who do something different, and if the book makes you think about it enough to want a re-read, that says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I agree regarding re-visiting the past and Swierczynski has tackled it in an innovative way.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds like science fiction / time travel / crime fiction mashup. Has he done more of those? Maybe this would be a good book by this author for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it. I read plenty from him in the past and some of it was genre bending.

      Delete
  3. I have at least one of his books in the TBR pile. I should get to it. I need some fun reading right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to find out your reaction to whichever one it is. Bound to be a blast.

      Delete
  4. I read this based on your review, and I wasn't disappointed. I like the genre bending, mixing a who-dunnit with sc-fi, and it was (usually) a page turner. Sometimes the protagonist reacted inexplicably, more in service of the plot than how one would expect him to react. For example, he's very nonchalant about losing body parts. Still, it's a totally original tale that hooked me in. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Larry. I do wonder if authors ever get to enjoy reading as much as readers do, whether you can separate the analysis of the book and what the writer has done from just going with the flow. There are a few more of his of a similar ilk.

      Delete