Saturday 27 March 2021

CRAIG A. HART - SERENITY STALKED (2017)

 


Synopsis/blurb....

SERENITY STALKED: A cold-blooded killer has blazed a trail of dead bodies across the country, with no one to stand in his way...until he starts killing on Shelby Alexander's home turf: the small Michigan town of Serenity. The second book in the Shelby Alexander Thriller Series, Serenity Stalked takes readers inside the mind of a terrifying killer. The stakes have never been higher.

My second time with Craig A. Hart and his Serenity series featuring retired boxer, Shelby Alexander. I'm not usually one for cold-blooded killer books, but I really enjoyed this one, aided in part by the fact it was narrated by one of my favourite Audible book guys, Theo Holland.

It's been a few months since I listened to it, so a lot of the details have deserted me. Alexander's girlfriend becomes a target for a nomadic killer. A different guy who had been harassing her, gets killed after Shelby had visited him, so Alexander is in the frame for that. The girlfriend gets kidnapped, the killer/kidnapper is living out a head fantasy where they are a live happily ever after couple, tension mounts etc etc, tables get turned, a twist or two, everyone does indeed live happily ever after except for one.

I don't mean to be flippant. I did have a good time listening to this one. Decent story, with an interesting, sympathetic main character, a reasonable pace, but not to the exclusion of character development - main and support cast or back story elements. I was happy with the outcome of the book and I want to read more from the author in the future. What else do you need?

4 from 5  

Serenity has been enjoyed before. I think the series currently runs to eight books.

Read - (listened to) January, 2021

Published - 2017

Page count - 194 (3 hrs 41 mins)

Source - Audible purchase

Format - Audible

4 comments:

  1. If I'm being honest, Col, the cold-blooded killer - especially serial killers - is not tops on my list. Once in a great while I've thought book with that theme was good, but that's quite rare for me. Still, your review is great, as ever, and I do like the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, it's strange. I'm with you on that score usually, but on this occasion I just really liked it.

      Delete
  2. I can't handle cold-blooded killer novels. I have read some hitmen novels I enjoyed, but even then I felt weird about the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good enough reason to avoid this one, Tracy.

      Delete