Thursday, 15 April 2021
Tuesday, 13 April 2021
Monday, 12 April 2021
Sunday, 11 April 2021
Saturday, 10 April 2021
Friday, 9 April 2021
Thursday, 8 April 2021
Tuesday, 6 April 2021
More for my own amusement than anything else and a bit behind the times - 2021 Reading Plans
(note to self - find 2019 or 2020 post of same, copy and paste, change dates and images, job done)
Ambitious or more likely ridiculous setting reading plans for a whole year, when I can't stay on track for more than a book, maybe two before getting my head turned by something else. Oh well..
1. Finish an intended TBR Mountain reading challenge that's been on the sidebar since 2014. I have actually made progress on this with only one book to go.
2. Ditto a USA State reading challenge. I've probably read more than half the states in the country but am too idle to keep things up to date. I would like to finish it in 2019 - err, 2020, or even this year. More likely 2022
3. Catch up with my wife and son - I'm a list of books behind on the sidebar. So far behind I've not listed what they've read in the past couple of years that I haven't looked at.
4. Ditto - an author catch up list.... Charlie Stella, Anthony Neil Smith, Michael Connelly to mention a few...... probably 30 books to catch up on this sidebar irritation.
5. Try and complete several book series I started running through some years ago, at a pace of one a month before getting distracted - Matt Scudder by Lawrence Block, Travis McGee by John D. MacDonald, Elvis Cole by Robert Crais, Quarry by Max Allan Collins and Nameless by Bill Pronzini.
I might start these in the second half of the year and can at least dent them by 6 books in each.
6. Complete the 2019 European Reading Challenge run by Rose City Reader, aiming for at least 12 countries in the year. If I count the UK as four separate countries, I could feasibly get to 24 different European venues. Possibly rolling over to 2022 then.
7. More blog related than reading - finish cataloguing my books - the physical ones at least. I've been a bit slack regarding this! When I get caught up on my blog posts - I'm about a month behind I'll have to get back on the horse.
I think I'm upto 86 tubs recorded with about 20 still to do - another 1000 books!
I might try and log the books on the kindle as well for a sense of completism. Plus I have another computer app that stores books on the laptop.
8. Try and keep on top of any freebies/review copies that might come my way. Probably not so many these days.
9. Stop browsing Net Galley and Edelweiss early reviewer sites. The world won't end if I don't get my hands on every new crime fiction book published! Try and get my percentage up on Net Galley from 39% to at least 50. Preferred feedback level is 80%.
10. Stop buying books or buy less books maybe.
11. Try and catch up on the TV and Film backlog listed.
12. I do have a somewhat ambitious goal of trying to read a complete Indie publishers output - All Due Respect. I bloody love them. I think since 2012/2013 they've published nearly 70 books. I've maybe read 20 of them give or take. I probably have 40 in the TBR pile. I just like what they do. So why not aim high?
I've created a page for All Due Respect so at least I have made a start.
13. 120 yearly reading target as per usual. I read about 190 last year, so maybe I ought to set my sights a biit higher
14. Read more female authors than in 2019/20 - I might need to actually find out how many that was first.
15. Enjoy the books
Monday, 5 April 2021
15 different films or shows, it's a wonder I managed to read anything in the month...
Sunday, 4 April 2021
A bit of film, a bit more TV.....
Saturday, 3 April 2021
No cinema but a few cracking films in the month....
Road House (1989) - Film
An enjoyable re-watch with my daughters 30 years after seeing it first time. Plenty of action, a few laughs. What's not to like?
A legendary bouncer comes to restore order at a notorious bar but runs afoul of a ruthless crime boss who controls the town. The stage is set for an action-packed showdown.