Friday 2 July 2021

DONALD E. WESTLAKE - DOUBLE FEATURE (2020)

 


Synopsis/blurb ....

THE MOVIE STAR AND THE MOVIE CRITIC — HOW FAR WOULD THEY GO TO KEEP THEIR SECRETS BURIED? DOUBLE FEATURE Contains two CLASSIC Donald E. Westlake novellas, A Travesty and Ordo

WHAT’S HIDDEN BEHIND THE SILVER SCREEN?

In New York City, a movie critic has just murdered his girlfriend – well, one of his girlfriends (not to be confused with his wife). Will the unlikely crime-solving partnership he forms with the investigating police detective keep him from the film noir ending he deserves?

On the opposite coast, movie star Dawn Devayne – the hottest It Girl in Hollywood – gets a visit from a Navy sailor who says he knew her when she was just ordinary Estelle Anlic of San Diego. Now she’s a big star who’s put her past behind her. But secrets have a way of not staying buried…

These two short novels, one hilarious and one heartbreaking, are two of the best works Westlake ever wrote. And fittingly, both became movies – one starring Jack Ryan’s Marie Josée Croze, and one starring Fargo’s William H. Macy and Desperate Housewives’ Felicity Huffman.

A book by this guy is cause for happiness - Stephen King

A couple of enjoyable tales from Donald E. Westlake, both centred around the world of film. 

Book 1 - A Travesty concerns a movie critic who accidentally kills his girlfriend, gets away with it, befriends a cop investigating the death, helps him on a few cases, crosses paths with a blackmailer, deals with him appropriately, ditto another sometime girlfriend, lays some pipe where he shouldn't and then suffers the consequences. Karma's a real bitch.

Lots of sly, dark humour present. It was a good fun read, with a cracker of an ending. Our main character railing at the injustice of it all.

Book 2 - Ordo is a lot shorter. A sailor discovers that the girl he married 16 years ago - a short-lived affair as her mother got it annulled as the bride was only 16 herself - and who he had largely forgotten is actually a Hollywood film star and bombshell. They reconnect. 

I found this one more serious. It centres a lot around identity and change. Do people stay the same throughout life as circumstances, opportunity, personal growth, ambition all takes them down different avenues. 

I wouldn't say I found this one heartbreaking, but thoughtful definitely. I think it's quite relatable to everyman. What would people from my 20 years ago past who I haven't seen in the meantime make of me now? And me of them? I'll never know, because I'm the man who crosses the road, ducks into a shop front and self consciously pulls up the coat collar and pretends he hasn't seen anyone. The past is a foreign country apparently. I happen to agree.     
  
Overall I really liked the pair of them and with the commonality of the film world, but the disparity between the seriousness of the stories they compliment each other perfectly.

4 from 5

I've been reading a few Westlake novels in the past few years - standalones mainly as I psyche myself up for tackling the Stark - Parker/Grofeld books and the Westlake Dortmunder series. 


Read - June, 2020
Published - 2020
Page count - 256
Source - Leighton Buzzard library
Format - paperback 

Some if not all of this content was previously published in the late 70s as Enough. This was a book I owned previously, but which didn't survive a purge of the collection some years ago. 

6 comments:

  1. They both sound good, Col. I do like Westlake's skill at both wit and deeper questions. I like his dialogue, too. Glad you enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this pairing Margot. Just saying ...

      Delete
  2. I am interested in reading these two novels and you have piqued my interest even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, book sale soon? I hope you find a copy.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are going to do the book sale this year, although it remains to be seen how packed it will be and if we will be comfortable attending.

      It would be nice if this book shows up at the sale.

      Delete
    3. Fingers crossed it is organised with people's safety in mind and you feel comfortable enough attending. Looking forward to seeing what you find if you get to it!

      Delete