Friday 17 October 2014

HUGH GILMORE - REDNECK NOIR LIT


Synopsis/blurb……

What this is and why I did it

I've long been a fan of noir literature in all its forms and most recently of rural noir. Known by many names (e.g. redneck noir, country noir, hillbilly noir), the genre is exciting and intriguing. This brief personal essay – about 26 pages, or 6900 words – describes my journey as I tried to get acquainted with some contemporary rural fiction writers who've been given the noir label.

My essay is not comprehensive of the field. I certainly haven't met up yet with all the writers working in this area. Please send me suggestions. However, it does offer a quick and easy entry to some of the literature and many of the issues surrounding the use and misuse of that label "redneck noir."

This version is an updated, revision. It includes consideration of another six writers I hadn't read yet when I published the 1st edition.

If you're new to the subject it will offer you an entry point. If you're already well read, you're probably aware of the writers I mention. But I think this essay might help debunk the current marketing stupidity that says "If you're country, you're noir."

The essay begins at its origins: my friendship with the late John O'Brien, of West Virginia, author of At Home in the Heart of Appalachia (2001).

Another quick but enjoyable read. If I’m not reading myself, I’m probably either looking for a book, thinking about a book, or just as likely on the internet seeing what other people are reading that I then might like myself. In that sense an essay about books and authors that have been tagged redneck, hillbilly or country noir is just up my street.

There’s an interesting chapter on him re-establishing a friendship with a now sadly deceased author, John O’Brien. After which he gets down to throwing around a few names, most of which I have on my shelves already – more unread than read……….Daniel Woodrell, Larry Brown, William Gay, Frank Bill, Donald Ray Pollock, Pinckney Benedict, Bonnie Jo Campbell, Alan Heathcock.

I have acquired a few more names to check out, more through courtesy of a list Gilmore prints forwarded to him by a librarian friend. Gilmore, himself seems a bit dismissive of the list – to me he’s a wee bit obsessive over labelling and pigeon-holing. Me, I’m a fan of the “if you like A, maybe you’ll like B” recommendation thing. I’d rather have a list of 20 books that I might like 3 from, than no list.

We all seek different things in our reading and perhaps Gilmore’s reading tastes are a little bit more refined than my own. Worth the price of the admission anyway.

Gilmore himself is a bookseller and author and has published a couple of things including a novel Malcolm’s Wine which has a few decent reviews of Amazon. Maybe I’ll try it one day.

Other names picked up – Breece D’J Pancake, Rick Gavin, Dayne Sherman and Scott Sparling…. I’m away now to check them out.

4 from 5

Bought earlier this week from Amazon (Cheers – MSJ!)




10 comments:

  1. Col - Oh, that essay does sound interesting. I'm always keen to know what other authors are doing and how and why they do it. I don't of course write in that kind of noir myself, but it is fascinating to know what draws others to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, I do love writing about books. And Daniel Woodrell's name stood out - I loved his The Maid's Version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get more Woodrell for the stacks before the shutters came down?

      Delete
    2. No. The time will come... You know what, you should write something like this book, about your own noir-ish interests... that would make a good read. (You have at least as much to offer as many of the people who write about their reading.)

      Delete
    3. Moira thank you, you're too kind....maybe when I'm a bit better read!

      Delete
  3. Col, I like reading about anything, book or essay/article, that has to do with writers and their writing from a reader's perspective. I often go looking for stuff like this on Amazon but never find anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I only lucked on it myself because a Goodreads friend was reading it.

      Delete
  4. Sounds very interesting. But it is $2.99 for 30 pages, so I will pass. I am interested in country noir, although not sure I will like reading it. Probably depends on the author, like everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I thought it was a wee bit steep when viewed against it's length, but then I thought about all the books and stuff I get that I haven't paid for - freebies etc and then rationalised that it was only £2 which is a cup of coffee from Costa when out and about so thought why not. I picked up a few new names and recommendations - as if I needed them - but mainly had confirmed back to me a load of authors I already had a knowledge of and books by.

      Delete