Monday 20 October 2014

2 BY HOWARD SHRIER

Another two this week from a previously unread Canadian author, Howard Shrier. Shrier has written four series books featuring a Toronto investigator, Jonah Geller. There's a standalone novel also - Lostport.















Shrier is a two-time winner of the Arthur Ellis Award. High Chicago won Best Novel in 2009 and Buffalo Jump won Best First Novel before that.



I think I'm in safe hands and should enjoy these.......whenever that may be!

Howard Shrier's website is here.









Boston Cream

Canada's top private eye is back as Jonah Geller resumes his vagabond ways in Boston Cream, the Vintage World of Crime trade paperback original and sequel to the Arthur Ellis-winning novels Buffalo Jump and High Chicago.


David Fine is not the kind of guy to go missing. Or so his father tells PI Jonah Geller. A brilliant young surgeon-in-training, devout, devoted to his parents--last seen 2 weeks ago leaving the Boston hospital where he worked. Still recovering from a concussion, Jonah and partner Jenn Raudsepp soon find out that David fled for his life after a vicious Irish crime boss tried to abduct him. And that he's more likely dead than alive. Then Jenn joins the ranks of the missing, and Jonah needs help from former hit man Dante Ryan and two local wise guys as he races the clock to save her life, one step ahead of the Boston law.




Miss Montreal 


Howard Shrier's acclaimed Jonah Geller series continues with Miss Montreal, the Vintage World of Crime trade paperback original and sequel to Boston Cream.  


After what happened in Boston, P.I. Jonah Geller can't show his face in the U.S. again. Which is fine with him. He's got a new case in Montreal, one of the world's most colourful and downright scandalous cities. An old friend has been brutally murdered there, and the police investigation is stalled. With an election looming and tensions seething, Jonah and former hit man Dante Ryan have to battle religious fanatics, gun runners and a twisted political dynasty to get to the truth.


Digressing slightly and in an effort to educate as well as titillate, I have been reliably informed by my great blog friend, Moira (Clothes in Books) that the "Boston Cream" is also a cake!



Is it a pie, or is it a cake? Wikipedia offers it's verdict here.



You can read more about the exciting history of the Boston Cream Pie Cake here. Fascinating....

10 comments:

  1. These both sound like good reads, Col. I'll be keen to know what you think of them. And while I wait, perhaps I'll have a piece of Boston Cream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I think I will enjoy this series. I think the PI - think Scudder, Nameless, Elvis Cole - is my favourite type of investigator in mysteries. I must admit the cake does look good. My recent viewing of the Great British Bake Off competition has alerted me to the merits of the chocolate ganache topping!

      Delete
  2. Col, I don't know which Boston Cream to settle for. I'll probably go for Howard Shrier's novel as I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I would choose the book over the cake as well. A harder choice if it was something savoury, maybe!

      Delete
  3. Are you going to read the first two first? This does look like a good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one and two have been temporarily misplaced, but I expect I will find them soon! I do like the sound of it and if I can get on board whilst it is only four books long - it's not too daunting. One for your Canadian challenge?

      Delete
    2. Definitely looks like a good fit for the Canadian challenge. I will wait a while since I already have so many too read, but worth a try for sure.

      Delete
  4. You have until the middle of next year, so no rush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud to have inspired the cake pictures! I may well try the cake before trying the books... I like the fact that Boston has an official dessert. Miss Montreal is ringing a faint bell - maybe Bill reviewed it? I think I was quite intrigued by something I read about it, so might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - cake before book. Miss Montreal is the 4th in the series, so it will be a while before I get around to it. It's very possible Bill has read and reviewed as Shrier hails from Canada.

      I haven't inspired you to put down that meringue/eclair/blackforest/victoriasponge...delete as necessary.....and order the series? Disappointing.

      Delete