Monday 27 October 2014

2 BY HARRY CREWS


Harry Crews blew into my reading life when I saw the cover of CLASSIC CREWS more than a few years ago. I was compelled to buy it.  How could you not want to read anything this ugly bruiser had written? Doesn't he look like he has interesting things to say?


Over the years I have acquired everything he wrote, which was about 20 various novels and bits and pieces all told. Sadly he died a couple of years ago. Not a crime writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love him and his books.














He seems to have been tagged - Southern Gothic, whatever that is.


His Guardian obituary is here.











Body





In his highly acclaimed 11th novel, Crews has written a wild, weird black comedy that takes place over one weekend during a women's bodybuilding competition. A secretary has found a new life as a champion bodybuilding contender, but her turns things upside down with their redneck antics.













The Mulching of America


Harry Crews turns the classic rags-to-riches story on its head in this hilarious saga of the trials and tribulations of a beleaguered salesman. "An over-the-top comedy in which the veteran wild man of redneck fiction casts his satirical eye on the all-American world of door-to-door sales".--Kirkus Reviews.

10 comments:

  1. Col - Sometimes those weird black comedies can be well-done. I'll admit I've never read Crews' work, but I'm glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, thanks - he's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I like him and it would be a dull old world if we all agreed on the same books.

      A read or two of him in the next few years - and we'll see if we can't change your mind!

      Delete
  2. Gazing at those extraordinary covers is probably enough for me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, I thought maybe you might like a book about female body-building.I thought it would be an excellent photo-op for the Clothes in Books blog....

      Delete
  3. Crews is my favorite writer! There's a series of four interviews with him on YouTube that are classics. My favorite of his books is A FEAST OF SNAKES. The perfect novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I perhaps wouldn't class him as my all-time favourite - I maybe need to read a few more yet before I can arrive at a conclusion. A FEAST OF SNAKES is my favourite so far. A close second would be his piece on fathers and sons - heartbreaking.
      I really need to sit through those interviews.

      Delete
  4. Black comedies are not my thing, in books or movies. But the covers are very nice. Maybe someday I will be inspired to give him a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not your thing Tracy, but hey maybe one day there will be one of his that appeals to you.

      Delete
  5. Col, I love black comedy/dark humour in books, films, and television, weird or otherwise, although I can't say when I'll get round to these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same Prashant - a sense of absurdity grabs me, though admittedly not always. Keep an eye out for Crews with your street vendors.

      Delete