Friday 9 April 2021

A B MORGAN - OLD DOGS OLD TRICKS (2020)

 


Synopsis/blurb ....

Old Dogs, Old Tricks introduces us to husband-and-wife private investigators Peddyr and Connie Quirk. They're sent undercover to probe the death of the resident of an exclusive retirement village.

Old Dogs, Old Tricks is by turns a classic whodunnit, laugh-out-loud funny, and rich in colourful characters.

Enjoyable introductory novella to author A B Morgan's husband and wife sleuthing team, Peddyr and Connie Quirk.

I found the setting of a retirement village interesting, not least because my wife is a House Manager at a similar establishment in Leighton Buzzard. Personal experience and anecdotary evidence from her, convinces me of the eccentricities of the older generation. both there and the ones found in this book.

Death, secrets, history, golf, cards, drinking, massage, community, friendships, alliances, bitchiness, hanky panky, an impatient client and after some loose lips and joined up thinking and research - answers.

Best book ever? No, but enough there to have me looking forward to more outings in the company of our double act. Hopefully I'll get around to the first full length novel featuring the pair - Over Her Dead Body - sooner rather than later.

Probably of a genter pace with a lot less action and violence encountered than in my usual reading. I can live with that.

3.5 from 5    

Read - April, 2021
Published - 2020
Page count - 106
Source - copy from publisher Hobeck Books
Format - Kindle

2 comments:

  1. This one really appeals to me, Col. Retirement homes are good backgrounds for a murder mystery, and I do like a story with some laughs woven in with the rest of it. This one might have to go on the wish list (not that mine needs any more additions... *sigh*).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you would enjoy this one Margot.

      Delete