Sunday 15 November 2015

VINTAGE MYSTERY CHALLENGE SILVER (1960-1989) - COMPLETED

VINTAGE MYSTERY CHALLENGE SILVER – (1960–1989)



In theory the Silver Challenge should have proved easier for me to complete than the Gold one because I do like books from the 70s and 80s. Again lethargy ruled and I’m just a bit tardy in staying up to date on certain blog things – hardly a capital offence.

Bill PronziniHoodwink (1981) (4/5) read August 2015

Mark SmithThe Death of the Detective (1973) (4/5) read June 2015

Brian FreemantleCharlie M (1977) (5/5) read September 2014

Jim ThompsonIronside (1967) (4/5) read March 2015

Agatha ChristieMiss Marple’s FinalCases (1980) (3/5) read February 2014


Michael AvalloneShock Corridor (1963) (3/5) read July 2014

Looking back - best book by a mile - Brian Freemantle's Charlie M. No decent excuses for not having read more in the series bearing in mind it's about 14 months since I enjoyed this one.

Second best - Mark Smith's infuriating, frustrating but brilliant The Death of the Detective  - a challenge in itself reading this one!


Others - Jim Thompson's Ironside was fun, Bill Pronzini's Hoodwink was another enjoyable Nameless mystery.




















Christie's truncated Marple short stories and Avallone's novelisation of a movie - Shock Corridor ...... well I've read worse, I've read better.




10 comments:

  1. Glad you found some winners here, Col. Not surprised, either, that you liked the Pronzini. Thanks, too, for the reminder of Freemantle. He's one author I'm not familiar with (except for the name), and I ought to try his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot I hope you can squeeze a Freemantle title into your reading pile. More thriller as opposed to crime genre - but a great book's a great book when all is said and done!

      Delete
  2. Slightly off the cuff: You are gonna laugh but I thought to myself while reading this post: when did Col read Jim Thompson? so check post and sure enough I commented (heh). My memory has failed me I see. I feel as though I've read all of Thompson's best stuff but maybe not? I still need to find Ironside and it's only in paper. Jo Nesbo described Thompson as the greatest crime writer and described going through Thompson's backlist as separating the wheat from the chaff. It's a great write-up in case you missed it at Mulholland's Book Blog. Oh and congrats on the challenge, Col. I see you liked Freemantle the best, so off to see if there's a sample I can read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - that's funny. I think you'd like Ironside. I've printed the Nesbo piece off - thanks. I do harbour the dream of reading all his stuff (JT), but there's a lot of books, both his and others to get through. Hope you can get a sample of Freemantle and it floats your boat!

      Delete
  3. Another challenge - you're really tidying up! I really liked Detective, Ironside and Marple, so good collection. And I must read Charlie Muffin, going to move that one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full speed ahead on that Muffin, Moira. If you read Freemantle - I'll crack open a Fleming. Yeah - tidying up, I'm getting my Spring cleaning done in November!

      Delete
  4. Col, congrats on the completion of the Gold and Silver vintage mystery challenges! You read some fine books. Got to keep an eye out for Jim Thompson's novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - thanks. I definitely enjoyed the SILVER 6 more than the GOLD 6! I'm sure you will find some Jim Thompson at one of your secondhand sellers.

      Delete
  5. Some good books here. Someday I really will get back to the Pronzini series. I always found them such quick reads. I am still put off by the length of The Death of the Detective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Death of the Detective - its definitely a very dense book and requires concentration - I limited myself to a chapter a day until near the end.

      Re Pronzini - I've just read the 9th - only 30 more give or take and I'm up to date!

      Delete