Thursday 22 January 2015

MARK SENNEN - THE BOAT HOUSE


Synopsis/blurb……
***A SHORT STORY AND EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PREVIEW TO HIS NEXT BOOK***

No one’s seen him in years…

An isolated boat house. A reclusive old man. A body.

DI Charlotte Savage’s first ever case as a detective.

AN 11-PAGE SHORT STORY, INCLUDING AN EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT OF TELL TALE.

Another short December read which added another figure to the totals and another new author that I tried.

A fairly interesting short story and Sennen does a great job at ratcheting up the tension. A female DI isolated and alone with a deluded hermit, but on the plus side she is just in time for dinner!

I did enjoy the introduction to the next full length Sennen book, Tell Tale; something which isn’t released until February. He had me hooked within a chapter. Well I was until I then backtracked and realised this is the fourth in the Charlotte Savage series and being a tad OCD I’m a bit of a completist and  hate reading series out of order. (That said I did jump in at book three with Christina James and her DI Yates!)

A great hour or so's reading.

One to think about then for the future if I get the stacks under a bit more control.

His series of books with DI Savage is set in and around Dartmoor in the South West of England.

Touch (2011), Bad Blood (2013) and Cut Dead (2104) are the first three. Tell Tale is the fourth.

The author’s website is here.


4 from 5


The story and introduction to Tell Tale was offered to me via Net Galley. I believe it’s currently free on Amazon UK

(Only 2 more December reads to do a post on!) 

10 comments:

  1. Col, eleven pages is just right for me. Besides, I haven't read a good contemporary mystery set in England and this one, about a "deluded hermit" and a dead body is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Col - This does sound interesting. The premise certainly sounds suspenseful! And the characters sound interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot cheers. I'd like to read more from him but usual story at the minute I'm afraid

      Delete
  3. A female sleuth and a Dartmoor setting are both big plus points for me. I do like the way you used these short stories to achieve your targets! It sounds nice and cheap too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me thinks I kind of cheated my way to 120, another part of me thinks so what, and another part thinks - no you didn't as they are all separately listed and purchasable "books" in their own right. I suppose I'm slightly disappointed overall with my reading year though.

      It's worth a look - and I do like the opening to his new book - plus you have all the space on the book shelf to fill!

      Delete
    2. Don't flog yourself about whether books are too short to really be counted. I managed to drag myself past 40 books last year by including photography books with large captions and copious notes.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Glen, at least I didn't resort to reading the children's flip over storybooks they have at my wife's nursery workplace!

      Delete
  4. I am wavering. This short story is not available in the US (on Amazon). But I can get the first book in the series (at a price I will pay). I like the idea of the female detective a lot, but it is a serial killer book. Nevertheless, you got me interested, and that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to see how you get on with it if you do give it a go. I'm not a big fan of the serial killer book to be truthful, though I do have a fair few on the shelves. I think they have been done to death now - no pun intended.

      Delete