Friday 2 January 2015

LEE GOLDBERG/JANET EVANOVICH - THE HEIST


Synopsis/blurb…….

FBI Special Agent Kate O'Hare is known for her fierce dedication and discipline on the job, chasing down the world's most wanted criminals and putting them behind bars. Her boss 
thinks she is tenacious and ambitious; her friends think she is tough, stubborn, and maybe even a bit obsessed. And while Kate has made quite a name for herself for the past five years, the only name she's cared about is Nicolas Fox - an international crook she wants in more ways than one.

Audacious, handsome, and dangerously charming, Nicolas Fox is a natural con man, notorious for running elaborate scams on very high-profile people. At first he did it for the money. Now he does it for the thrill. He knows that the FBI has been hot on his trail - particularly Kate O'Hare, who has been watching his every move. For Nick, there's no greater rush than being pursued by a beautiful woman . . . even one who aims to lock him up. But just when it seems that Nicolas Fox has been captured for good, he pulls off his greatest con of all: he convinces the FBI to offer him a job, working side by side with Special Agent Kate O'Hare.

Problem is, teaming up to stop a corrupt investment banker who's hiding on a private island in Indonesia is going to test O'Hare's patience and Fox's skill. Not to mention the skills of their ragtag team made up of flamboyant actors, wanted wheelmen, and Kate's dad. High-speed chases, pirates, and Toblerone bars are all in a day's work . . . if O'Hare and Fox don't kill each other first.

I've read and enjoyed a couple of introductory short stories by this author combo which acquaintainted me with O’Hare and Fox prior to this full-length adventure.



Well how was the full-length novel then? Best book ever?

No, but a steady 4 from 5. Fast-paced with an interesting premise at its heart, infused with humour, which TBH didn't always make me laugh, but wasn't so over the top that it turned me off either.  

Our once adversaries are paired together in a kind of FBI-esque black-op, totally deniable operation to recover missing millions which a banker has disappeared with in connivance with his slightly less dodgy lawyer.  

O’Hare and Fox recruit a crew of talented misfits to their team to enable them to outwit the lawyer initially, before setting their sights on the elusive banker with his hand on the funds.

Slightly unbelievable and unrealistic, but you know what? I was happy enough to suspend disbelief and get entertained as long as the ride lasted. Never a dull moment and well worth the time invested in it.

Satisfied and amused at the end of it all and ready for a future adventure with this pair of protagonists and this pair of co-authors. Ideal reading to banish some wintry December blues.

4 from 5

The second full length O'Hare and Fox book is The Chase, which has been followed recently by The Job.

Janet Evanovich has written several successful series of books, most notably the ones featuring Stephanie Plum

Lee Goldberg has written for the small screen and has loads of novels to his name including some which reside on the shelves of the library, mainly featuring Mr Monk.

Borrowed from my local library in Leighton Buzzard.

8 comments:

  1. Definitely out of your comfort zone I'd have thought Col...nice to see that you could enjoy it for what it is. I've not read anything by Goldberg I don't think (though rather liked Monk on TV) and have avoided Ms Evanovich since getting thoroughly fed up with Stephanie Plum. Not sure I'm convinced to give them a go as a duo - possibly one for my library list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette, I must be mellowing as I get older. I will quite likely try one of the Stephanie Plum books at seem point but won't be reading more than a couple at most. I liked Monk on TV also so will be trying the books as well.

      Delete
  2. Col, I definitely plan to read Lee Goldberg's fiction this year. I'll have to decide where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. I have a couple of other options to the MR MONK pile.

      Delete
  3. Count me as a 'not sure' on this one - I have never taken to Evanovich in the past, and know nothing of the partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Moira. Maybe the next one up will do the job.

      Delete
  4. Well, if I was needing new books I might give this a try. So, maybe someday. If you review more of the series, maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the third courtesy of Net Galley, but not the second. I may skip ahead.

      Delete