Friday 9 January 2015

DECEMBER FILMS AND TV

December was a pretty average's months viewing all told and in spite of it being the holiday period.
I did watch and enjoy a few things, several of them repeats.

In no particular order......

Skyfall... seen it before but despite not being the world's biggest Bond fan it was an enjoyable enough way of  passing a couple of hours. I do like Judy Dench more than I like Daniel Craig. I liked the villain in this one, especially his over the top hamming it up acting - Javier Bardem.

 The Muppet Christmas Carol ... probably a 4th or 5th re-watch, but it is excellent.

Black Mirror.... created by Charlie Brooker has appeared on British TV screens for the past couple of years. More here at wikipedia. Showing the dark side of life and technology, starred Rafe Spall, son of Timothy........probably the best thing I watched.


The Grinch......Jim Carrey, ditto The Muppet's Christmas Carol, I have probably lost count of the number of times I have seen this one.

The Holiday...despite not being a fan of two of the four stars, I do like this film - another re-watch.
Harry Potter.........7th and 8th films re-watched, blame my youngest daughter.

The Grand Budapest Hotel.......family film that I had no interest in watching.....bah humbug..an excellent opportunity taken to catch up on some sleep


Gotham.....my children have expressed no interest in this series but my wife and I must have watched 5 or 6 episodes, really enjoyable with some great acting 


Hannibal series two.......catching up now number one son is home from Uni. We have about 3 episodes to complete. Over the top, graphic, brutal, dark and disturbing. Not too sure I like where the story seems to be going but I will keep watching

Call the Midwife - Christmas Special....not something I would expect to like, but hey I did, despite an uncontrollable impulse to usually turn the TV off every time Miranda Hart appears on my screen. She is tolerable in this tale of midwives and nuns set in East London in the 50's. I do still have a soft spot for Jenny Agutter.

Toy Story 3......I fell asleep first time around, I don't know how many years ago but was pleased to stay awake this time. Another enjoyable film, I'll be happy to re-watch in the future.

10 comments:

  1. Col, we enjoyed both SKYFALL (including Adele's soundtrack) and THE HOLIDAY, a delightful movie. Bond is getting more real, more human with each franchise. I'm going to miss Dench though, I think, Fiennes will be a good replacement. I missed THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL in the theatres but after your strong view about it, I don't think I missed much. I prefer Jim Carrey in films like BRUCE ALMIGHTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'll miss Judy Dench. Is Fiennes a definite? I only saw a bit in the press recently discussing whether IDRIS ELBA could be James Bond. I do like him as an actor. I loved him in THE WIRE and LUTHER. I don't really follow the trials and tribulations or the hype over the old-Bond, current-Bond, new-Bond, but I'm guessing then that Craig has retired from or lost the role?

      You might like GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, and indeed I might at some point. I just wasn't in the mood for it at this particular moment, so it will be at least a year before the gang might want to give it a second go.

      I think I appreciate Carrey more as I have gotten older, he used to irritate maybe 10 years ago.

      Delete
  2. Col - So let me guess: you weren't too excited about Grand Budapest Hotel ? Well, I suppose not everything you watch can keep you riveted. And I've always liked the Toy Story films :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, it wasn't a total wash-out. I caught an extra 90 minutes or so napping!

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson's movies. They always have a unique style and look to them with great storylines. My favorite of his films is The Royal Tenenbaums. I saw The Budapest Hotel last year and thought Ralph Fiennes was pretty good in it. I understand watching movies, etc, when you're in the right mood for it. His films would qualify I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read Wes Anderson, I immediately thought of horror films! Doh, that was Wes Craven.......I part watched The Royal Tenenbaums many years ago and afraid to say that one didn't grab me at the time either.. I'll give Budapest another go at some point, but yes my mood wasn't right for it.

      Delete
  4. I really like Grand Budapest - when I saw it on your list I was about to say 'Hey yes me too' but then no, last minute fail. Ah well. Harry Potter is always turning up on our TV too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, a lot of movies. We have been watching more TV series, in the sci fi genre, which you don't care for. I know you don't care for Kate Winslett, who else don't you like in The Holiday? that is not my kind of movie, although I might enjoy it if I watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of Jude Law. I do like Jack Black and Cameron Diaz though.

      Delete