Monday 1 May 2017

MARK J. NEWMAN - IN FOR THE KILL (2016)


Synopsis/blurb......

Malkie Thompson's out of favour, and this time Glasgow Crime Boss McAlister wants him gone. There's no turning back, he's sent for Baxter the freelance cleaner and go to guy for the underworld. Baxter's non affiliated, that's how he likes it and that's how it's staying. He doesn't sleep anymore because his past still haunts him. He vowed never to return, but he’s broke, and owes Callaghan's Newcastle firm 20K. He's out of choices, if he misses the deadline they're going after his family.

It's time to take out the trash.

In For The Kill is the second in series of the Crime Syndicate thrillers, and leads on from the Amazon #1 Bestseller Violence in the Blood. The setting is Glasgow Scotland 1987.

Second time around for me with Mark J. Newman following on from January's reading of Violence in the Blood. Reviewed here.

Probably not a read that will appeal to everyone, we have a tale of violence - fairly graphic and a cast of characters with few redeeming features among the lot of them. That said, I really, really liked it.

Gangsters, illegal gambling, bare-knuckle boxing, an unpayable debt, a dispute in Glasgow with a parting of the ways between employer and employee and a call for the clean-up guy.

Really cleverly constructed in the way it ties in with the first in the series. I'm looking forward to the next installment in this series. Newman packs a hell of a lot of action, story and character history into this one and gets the job done in less than 70 pages.

4.5 from 5

Mark J. Newman has written one further tale in his Crime Syndicate series, which I hope to read later this year - Walk Amongst the Dead.

He has his website here. He's also on Facebook here and catch him on Twitter - @marknewmanwrit1

Read in March, 2017
Published - 2016
Page count - 67
Source - from author after signing up to his website newsletter
Format - Kindle

6 comments:

  1. I really do respect a cleverly-constructed story, Col. But I have to admit, this one probably wouldn't be one for me. Still, very glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, probably more me than you with this one Margot.

      Delete
  2. I'd take some persuading - I didn't fancy the first one either. But glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto my response to Margot - more me than you!

      Delete
  3. I like the setting but not the violence. Of course the length is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point, Tracy - we'll let you pass on this one!

      Delete