Wednesday 6 January 2016

DECEMBER 2015 - ADDITIONS TO THE LIBRARY.....SOME OF AT LEAST...

Might as well end the year with another month of more in than out.

Some tasty titles to be enjoyed whenever......

5th Samuel Craddock mystery from the publisher!

Not read him for a few years - Kevin Wignall's latest - bought!

New-to-me author J. L. Abramo - bought! 
A bit more info on Chasing Charlie Chan...

Lenny Archer had more than a fair share of tough times and hard knocks, but he had finally decided to stay in the game rather than cash in his chips.

Then, two late-night intruders at the Private Investigation office of Archer and Pigeon violently take the choice of life over death out of Lenny's hands.  
    
Jimmy Pigeon is determined to discover who killed his friend and partner.  He may have to learn what became of the actor who portrayed Charlie Chan in the thirties, and who assassinated a charismatic mobster in the late-forties, before he can identify Archer's killers.
   
LAPD Lieutenant Ray Boyle is not anxious to get tied up in the Chinese fire drill that is the Archer murder case, but he is far less inclined to get anywhere near the question of where a former Heisman Trophy winning football player was on an infamous night in June 1994.
    
Pigeon and Boyle become reluctant allies, sharing little in common beside a mutual hope that Major League Baseball can thwart a players' strike and the bad guys learn crime doesn't pay.


Dirty cops, buried secrets, mob hits and a stack of bodies--these are a few of my favorite things--and J.L. Abramo delivers them all in his new book CHASING CHARLIE CHAN. This is a fresh and modern take on the classic dead partner tale of revenge, and the plot has plenty of forward momentum. It turns out to be a complicated tale, and a satisfying read. For those familiar with Abramo's work, this is the prequel to the Jake Diamond PI series. For those not familiar with the series--never fear. Once you read CHASING CHARLIE CHAN, you'll be convinced to pick up the rest.
                                                                                                      --Crimespree Magazine

Author's website is here. My Kindle copy includes the "opener" in the Jake Diamond series.

NBA winning author Jesmyn Ward's memoir - bought!

New-to-me - from Amazon - when FREE!

Interesting tale - Poundland purchase!

Amazon purchase - damn that man - Paul D. Brazill!

Net Galley book!
Amazon purchase - another new-to-me author!

Bargain 99p Amazon purchase!

From the publisher - Seventh Street Books!
Amazon purchase. Call me a saddo, but I turned on my radio the other day and there was an interview with Rod by one of my favourite broadcasters - Danny Baker. And I was enthralled. I think him and Baker have an "ordinary man" touch about them. The kind of blokes you'd easily chat to over a pint or two in the pub. I have Baker's two books already, so I went and looked up the gravel-voiced crooner and here we are. I reckon he's led an interesting life. 

19 comments:

  1. Saddo.

    Only kidding :) I'm not a big one for celebrity bio's but I agree with you, I think Rod would have led an interesting life. At least he's led a life, unlike most of the "celebrities" whose bio's fill the shelves...some of them are only 25...what the heck have they got to write about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're probably right! I couldn't agree more regarding the normal celebrity bio, from people barely out of nappies. I think would Rod would be on the list of people I'd have round the table at the fantasy dinner party!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Busy = foolish, in my case. Still as I intend to live to the grand old age of 237, I should get them all read!

      Delete
  3. You do have some interesting new additions there, Col. A few got me just by the title (Chasing Charlie Chan, for instance). As to Rod Stewart? Not my fave, but I'll grant he's probably an interesting person to chat to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. Not a massive fan of Rod....tsk - ha I don't think we will fall out over it! :-)

      Delete
  4. I don't know which one to pick, Col...probably all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the titles and the cover art alone STRANGEVILLE and RICKSHAW intrigue me the most. I've seen great reviews for THE DARK INSIDE. Paul Brazill hat-tipped YOUNG AMERICANS and Terry Shames and her Samuel Craddock series is a known quantity.

      Delete
  5. I was a massive Rod Stewart fan when I was a lot younger, and saw him live many times. And actually I still like him, and saw a documentary about him recently which I really enjoyed. And, he still makes good music. So you get nothing but good vibes from me for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen him live, but he did something or other on TV a few years ago - AN EVENING WITH maybe. I think he was with Ronnie Wood and a couple of guitars and it made me look at him in a different light. I thought he was a bit of a tartan twat before that. Plus when I found out he was a mad-Celtic fan that clinched the deal for me.

      Delete
  6. I reckon the ROD THE MOD book will be really good from what I've read of it. Much better written than most rock bios.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reckon the ROD THE MOD book will be really good from what I've read of it. Much better written than most rock bios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so. Glad its got the PDB stamp of approval, which bodes well!

      Delete
  8. Nothing like a good confessional, is there, eh, Col? Still, I know that in January you'll not be acquiring any books . . .

    Chasing Charlie Chan is a great title -- I'll be trying to find out more by this one. As for the Rod Stewart autobio, I'd light the fire with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good for January..well sort of.....

      I've added some info in on Chasing Charlie Chan and the author.

      Re Rod - I never had you down as a book-burner, but hey what do I know...

      Delete
  9. like the titles of some of these....The Woman with the Blue Pencil for instance. I guess I'm a fan of Rod Stewart, liked a few of his songs from way back (along with Elton John) but I've never been interested in celebrity bios but that could easily change depending on who wrote it, word of mouth, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Woman with the Blue Pencil has a great cover and title. Re this particular celeb bio, I got the impression from the radio interview (perhaps mistakenly) that he wrote it himself as opposed to a ghost-writer. I'll fess up and admit I do like a bit of old gossip now and again. (Confirming my saddo credentials!)

      Delete
  10. I have always liked Rod Stewart and still do. Not sad to me at all.

    I look forward to your reviews of these books, which look interesting.

    ReplyDelete