Friday 22 January 2016

2016 READING PLANS



Nothing too out of the box for me in 2016.

Usual challenge of 120 books, it might be a push for me to achieve this only including reads of over 100 pages, but I might look at that. Otherwise a bit of sleight of hand might be required to get to my goal.

I would like to clear down the side bar challenges, so I'll have to pull my finger out and read a few more Australian/NZ and Scottish authors, as well as digging out the books for the TBR challenge - can someone remind me why I though that was a good idea?

My USA reading challenge needs updating. I'm much further along the road that 6 States - I haven't looked at it for over 18 months, but if it runs into 2017 - no big deal!



I haven't looked at what my my wife's read over the past few years, though in truth her reading has slowed down as she has been busy elsewhere. (That's a good thing!) I've no idea what my son's up to reading-wise as he's away at University most of the time.

Not sure why I have a book wishlist either containing about 5 books, as my actual Amazon wishlist approaches about 500 titles.

Read more females maybe, but I've banged that drum for a few years now and it hasn't really happened. At least now I don't solely discount a book based on author gender alone! Progress of sorts. Time to shut up about it then.

Get caught up on favourite authors? If anything the list is probably twice the length of that shown, again I've not looked at it for a good while.

Continue with a couple of series and authors - Max Allan Collins and his Quarry series - 11 books long at the minute, so I should read my way through that this year and continue to progress through Bill Pronzini's Nameless - I'm around the 10 mark at the minute.

More books out than in - would be a massive achievement for me, given my collecta-mania!


Checking back on my aims for 2015 - other than the numbers game I failed miserably.

12 comments:

  1. Don't be hard on you Col. Wish I could read as many books as you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose - thank you. I know I ought to be satisfied with my reading, but I always kind of feel like I could have read just a bit more....

      Delete
  2. I know just how you feel about not reading as much and as many authors as you want, Col. There couldn't possibly be enough time for me to meet all of my reading goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does have a habit of interfering! :-)

      Delete
  3. I posted reading plans one time and stopped. I failed at following any of my plans. My plan to read more writers by women wasn't so great last year either but this year I have a private reading plan to expand my reading and explore the genre in full. What that means is not just sticking to my favorites and trying different writers with a focus on women writers. I have great books lined up but I'm not telling who they are because my mind changes like the wind. That's why I don't do challenges. Anything that forces you to read this or that feels too much like homework. Rich's meme is great but I participate only when I have the book in question for the year picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A non-plan - that sounds like a good plan! :-) I do know what you mean, I ought to try that one next year!

      Delete
  4. I have lots I want to read this year, and a lot of that list is a carry over from the previous year. So I am really aiming at reading what I want to read, mainly. I need to review all that I have read and see what states I can add, also. Big goal is to read more short stories and blog about a good number of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I have some short stories I've picked up from various websites and authors. I ought to read and move on. I print them off and the piles of paper grow! I would like to spend a few hours seeing how far I've progressed with the US challenge.

      Delete
  5. You have an amazon wishlist of 500 titles? with how many books already in the tubs? You are so over the top!
    My targets for 2016 (#squadgoals is apparently what the young people call them) is to read the James Bond books, which you might have some interest in, and to read more of Elizabeth Goudge and Elena Ferrante - which I think we can fully expect will pass you by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 502 to be exact, but I may have inadvertently doubled up on a couple, which might mean its a bit more manageable!

      Delete
  6. Col, I don't have a reading plan for 2016 but I do intend to read and clear as many paper books as I can. That's my prime goal for the year. I'm hoping to read at least five books a month and so far I'm close to four. Good luck on your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, fives a reasonable goal, but if you are still juggling your own writing with a fairly new job, don't beat yourself up if you have lesser months.

      Delete