Friday 15 January 2016

EVANGELINE JENNINGS - BERETTA (2015)


Synopsis/blurb…..

Maggie is searching for Rachel on the Natchez Trace. Karis is on the run and bound for Mexico. Chances are these girls are going to meet. Most likely somebody will die.

Starting 2016 the same way I exited 2015 – with a bang and another 40-odd page story from Miss Jennings.

Jennings doesn’t do flowery and fluffy. Hard-hitting prose, exploring themes of domestic abuse with her victims retaining the resilience to stand up and confront their abuser and even the score.

Powerful stuff.

4.5 from 5

I’ve a soft spot for Evangeline Jennings and have featured her stuff fairly recently and further back in 2015 .



Plus she was also kind enough to humour me with a Q+A session.

I can't wait to see what she does next.

Evangeline was kind enough to ping me a copy of this.

8 comments:

  1. Beretta is a great title - I've been reading James Bond and it's his gun of choice, even though the armourer says it's a 'lady's gun'. And of course biretta is a hat worn by priests, important Clothes in Books knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not got to Fleming yet - one of these years.The biretta's worn by our mob isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the setup for a great story, Col. And I remember your other posts about Jennings, too. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. She ticks a lot of boxes for me.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you find these contemporary short fiction, Col?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul D Brazill tips me off to a lot of them. A lot of authors contact me directly - Evangeline being one example. A bit of browsing on Amazon and a few other sites - time I should be reading!

      Delete