Wednesday 6 November 2013

JAMES REASONER - TRACTOR GIRL


Synopsis/blurb......

Small-time crook Nick Paulson was pulled back from the brink of death by a blond goddess on an old red tractor. Wounded in an attempted mob execution, Nick thinks that the Texas farm where he finds himself recuperating from his injuries will be a good place to hide out from the men who want to kill him. But what he discovers there might turn out to be even more dangerous . . .

TRACTOR GIRL is a brand-new hardboiled crime novel in the classic mold of the 1950s Gold Medals from legendary yarnspinner James Reasoner, author of TEXAS WIND, DUST DEVILS, and DIAMONDBACK. Set in rural Texas in the early Fifties, filled with lust, obsession, greed, and violence and told at a breakneck pace, TRACTOR GIRL is redneck noir at its finest.

Short book, short thoughts....

This was another short blast from Reasoner at approximately 112 pages long, with similar themes to Dust Devils.........crime, robbery, secrets and deception. Some secrets are kept better than others, but all is revealed at the brutal climax.

Satisfying and entertaining, without ever threatening to make me abandon my pledge to rush out and buy the 297-odd Reasoner books I don’t have in my library. It definitely had the feel of a 50’s style Pulp. An enjoyable way of spending 3 hours on a Saturday evening, interrupting my otherwise hard-core rock and roll lifestyle.

4 from 5


Another book acquired recently on Amazon for kindle.

12 comments:

  1. Col - It certainly sounds like a solid 1950's pulp-style novel. Not sure it's my cuppa, to be honest. But I know exactly what you mean about spending an enjoyable few hours with a novel without feeling a commitment to the series. A literary hook-up, perhaps? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, thanks. I like 50's pulp, but not all the time. I need to mix things around.

      Delete
  2. I just keep looking at that cover. One day I'll need an illo of a girl in a straw hat with a white shirt, and THEN I'll be sorry I don't have this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira - less than £2 on Kindle, you know you really want to!

      Delete
  3. I still can't get over the title....3 hours of entertainment. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tractor Girl rocks as a title! Look at the nails in the photo, I'm sure other farm girls would kill for them!

      Delete
  4. Col, I definitely hope to read a series of novels by James Reasoner soon. At nearly 300 books, I'd have a tough time choosing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I'm sure you can pick up something from one of your street seller chaps - hopefully!

      Delete
    2. Col, there're some authors like James Reasoner and Ed Gorman whose books I'm unlikely to find easily in new or old bookstores unless I place an order in the former. I'll probably go in for Kindle editions.

      Delete
  5. Ok, the Indian second hand book market is not one of my strengths! Kindle it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely like the length. I could even read this... but will probably hold off for a while.

    ReplyDelete