Tuesday 19 November 2013

2014 READING CHALLENGE (2) - READ SCOTLAND 2014



Peggy Anne at Peggy Anne's Post has come up with this challenge for next year.




The rules and the level of commitment are not too intense and you can aim high at 13 plus or set your sights a little bit lower.

Challenge levels:

Just A Keek (a little look): 1-4 books read
The Highlander: 5-8 books
The Hebridean: 9-12 books
Ben Nevis: 13+ books 

Details:

Read and review Scottish books - any genre, any form- written by a Scottish author (by birth or immigration) or about or set in Scotland.

Challenge runs January 1 to December 31, 2014 

Books you read may count for other challenges.

Peggy Anne has also set up a Goodreads - Read Scotland, 2014 group for the challenge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a fair few Scottish authors on my shelf and won't need to add any books to my collection in order to participate. I will aim for Ben Nevis myself,

Roll on 2014 when I expect to read some or all of the following; Ian Rankin, Hugh Collins, Gordon Ferris, Christopher Brookmyre, James Oswald, Tony Black, Val McDermid, Doug Johnstone, Craig Russell, Malcolm Mackay, Doug Johnstone, Denise Mina, Douglas Lindsay,

Thanks to Tracy at Bitter Tea and Mystery for alerting me to this reading challenge for 2014.

16 comments:

  1. Col - That looks like a great challenge. I'll be interested in seeing the books you choose and reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks, I just checked and I've only managed 3 this year so far. So a slight adjustment to my reading pattern should be in order.

      Delete
  2. Col - Do not forget to include William McIlvanney, and good luck with your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaargh.....how could I overlook him Jose? Thanks, I'll try and include his son also!

      Delete
  3. Sounds good - I hope you enjoy your Scottish writers. I'll have to think of some soulful spiritual Scottish books to tempt you with...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Col, assuming you've been to Scotland, or otherwise, would living in the UK make it easier for you to go through with this challenge? Here's wishing you luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - an interesting question. Maybe though with the increasing availability of e-books perhaps not. Might be easier to obtain physical copies over here.
      For the record, (and something to refer back to when you may possibly be suffering from insomnia at some point) I have only ever been to Scotland twice. Once I had to deliver some shopfitting parts to a small supermarket in Galashiels, driving the 320 miles from Leighton Buzzard on a Saturday night. The other occasion was a visit to another supermarket, fitting ticket edging to shelves on night shifts in a store in Stranraer. I haven't really seen too much of the country!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Col. I've read that Scotland is a beautiful place. Driving between Leighton Buzzard and Scotland must have been a lovely experience.

      Delete
    3. More of a lonely experience! I think I left around 6pm when it was dark and drove through the night arriving early hours of the morning. Then I turned around and came home, though I did stop on the way back near Carlisle to sleep for a while. This was back in the early 90's. Those three dreaded words, much maligned these days - HEALTH AND SAFETY - would prevent me making the same trip again today under these circumstances.
      I hope next time I visit it is somewhat more relaxing!

      Delete
  5. Missed this post, good luck and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I'll try and loosen your purse strings next year with some Scottish crime!

      Delete
  6. Col, thanks for the mention and I am glad you have joined. You have pointed out many authors (some of which I have on hand) that I had forgotten fit the bill for this challenge. I will be watching for the reviews to see which authors I should think about adding....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, no problem. Thanks for alerting me to this one. Even better I don't need to find anything else to participate, though Glen did point out AD Scott, whose books look interesting.

      Delete
  7. I am stopping by to see how everyone is doing with the Scotland challenge. I am not participating....challenges are too stressful for me. :)

    I love Scotland and have read a few books set in Scotland, but I am not participating in the challenge. I am just "hovering" and checking out the blogs on the list. :)

    I don't know any of these authors. I read two books I liked a lot that I mentioned above...The Island House by Posie Graeme Evans and Angel Harp by Michael Phillips.

    Hope your challenge is going well.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by. Slow progress so far TBH - only 1 book read. Hopefully I can speed up,but it will probably be the second part of the year, I think. Off to check your blog out.

      Delete