Wednesday 15 August 2018

2 BY NEWTON THORNBURG

A couple from the US and the 70s and 80s by Newton Thornburg this week.

I read Thornburg's To Die in California a few years ago and it was everything I look for in a book.... pace, story, characters, setting and heart, quite haunting really. 



Thornburg had 11 books published between 1967 and 1998. A few others sit on the pile including Knockover a 1968 heist novel.

From Fantastic Fiction.......

Born in Harvey, Illinois, Thornburg graduated from the University of Iowa with a Fine Arts degree. He worked in a variety of jobs before devoting himself to writing full-time (or at least in tandem with his cattle farm in the Ozarks) in 1973.





Cutter and Bone (1976)


A thriller, and a whacking good thriller, too - shows how much can be done by a writer who knows his business - the best novel of its kind in ten years! - New York Times

First published in 1976, Cutter and Bone is the story of the obsession of Cutter, a scarred and crippled Vietnam veteran and his attempt to convince his buddy, Bone, that the latter witnessed a murder committed by the conglomerate tycoon, JJ Wolfe. Captivated by Cutter's demented logic, Bone is prepared to cross the country with Cutter in search of proof of the murder. Their quest takes them into the Ozarks - home base of the Wolfe empire - where Bone discovers that Cutter is not pursuing a murderer so much as the great enemy itself, them, the very demons that have dogged his life.

A prolific writer, Newton Thornburg lives in upstate New York. His novels include A Man's Game, To Die in California, Dreamland, The Lion at the Door, and Eve's Men.

Blog friend TracyK from Bitter Tea and Mystery read Cutter and Bone recently.
The bleakest book she's ever read, which is a cracking recommendation in my eyes.

Also made into a film entitled Cutter's Way in the early 80s with Jeff Bridges.

Dreamland (1983)

"A commanding writer of unusual delicacy and power." - THE NEW YORKER

Two apparent suicides and a pair of brutal sex murders plunge would-be starlet Foxy Reno and ex-hippie drifter Crow into the dark underbelly of Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley. As Crow and Reno embark on a manhunt, they discover the dark side of desire in white-hot California.

8 comments:

  1. These do sound good, Col. I always find it interesting how many authors from the 70s and 80s I haven't read. There are just so many talented authors out there that it's impossible to keep up. I'll be looking forward to what you think of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself torn, Margot - between constantly trying to stay abreast of new works from both tried and untried authors and reading older works from the tubs (collection). I probably haven't achieved the right equilbrium in my reading. If things settle down in the next month or two, maybe 2019 will see me achieving that balance. I'd certainly recommend TO DIE IN CALIFORNIA or CUTTER AND BONE - based on Tracy's review.

      Delete
  2. I read and enjoyed all three you mentioned by Thornburg. I believe I might have a couple more by him hiding in one of my piles somewhere. Yep, I just checked and found "Vahallah", published in 1980. Thanks for the reminder, Col!
    --Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, that one sits on the pile also, along with a couple more - A MAN'S GAME and THE LION AT THE DOOR. Lots to look forward to in the coming months and years!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention, Col. I was so impressed with this book and Thornburg's writing that I went out and bought Knockover so at least I have one more to read. I will check for more at the book sale, then start looking online for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'll have to decide on which one to read first once I get myself better organised.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh - I bought the California book on your reco, but still haven't read it: it's the memory of how bleak you say it is that puts me off. When I'm feeling stronger. and then there's 10 more bleak books to tempt me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they all have this darkness TBH, but forewarned is forearmed. The one I read did and the one Tracy read did.

      Delete