Thursday 9 September 2021

AUGUST 2021 - FILMS (CINEMA)

A cracking month's viewing .... 

Six cinema outings... spies, lovers and romance, superheroes, lads on tour, a banged up abroad type of family quest for justice thingy and some tense gritty thrills

The Courier (2020)

I'm not Benjamin Cumberbatch's biggest fan but I did warm to him in this Cold War film, based on true events. Russian secrets,a British businessman and the Cuban Missile Crisis .... very tense, dark, and exciting.   

From Google ....

The true story of a British businessman unwittingly recruited into one of the greatest international conflicts in history. Forming an unlikely partnership with a Soviet officer hoping to prevent a nuclear confrontation, the two men work together to provide the crucial intelligence used to defuse the Cuban Missile Crisis.


Stillwater (2021)

I might have seen somewhere a comparison between this film and the Amanda Knox case and I can see the connection from what I remember about events surrounding her. Enough said.

I did enjoy this one. I haven't loved all the Matt Damon films I've seen but this one of my favourites of his. The ending I found quite sad, insofar as he kinds of gets what he wants, but seems to lose so much more in the pursuit of it.

From Google ....

An American oil-rig roughneck travels to Marseille, France, to visit his estranged daughter, in prison for a murder she claims she didn't commit. Confronted with language barriers, cultural differences and a complicated legal system, he soon builds a new life for himself as he makes it his personal mission to exonerate her.

Don't Breathe 2 (2021)

I haven't seen the original, but after enjoying this one - mostly from the edge of my seat - I'll try and seek it out. Violent, tough, grim, and a decent storyline.

From Google ...

Blind veteran Norman Nordstrom has been hiding out for several years in an isolated cabin. He lives with a young girl and has recreated the family stolen from him by a drunken driver. Their quiet life together is soon shattered when a group of unseemly criminals kidnaps her. Norman is now forced to tap into even darker and more creative instincts in an effort to save her.


The Last Letter from your Lover (2021)

Based on a Jojo Moyes book, I wasn't expecting too much from this one, but did find myself moved to tears. Incredibly affecting and powerful with a double romance thing going on. Pass the tissues!

From Google ...

After finding a trove of love letters from the 1960s, a journalist sets out to solve the mystery of a secret affair.

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Another one I enjoyed more than I expected to. I loved Sylvester Stallone in this and Idris Elba wasn't nearly as annoying as he has been in other outings of his I've seen in the past couple of years. 


From Google ...

The government sends the most dangerous supervillains in the world -- Bloodsport, Peacemaker, King Shark, Harley Quinn and others -- to the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Armed with high-tech weapons, they trek through the dangerous jungle on a search-and-destroy mission, with only Col. Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave.

People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan (2021)

A bit of an InBetweeners vibe from this one, only without as much schoolboy toilet humour. Some of the gags might have fallen a bit flat, but overall it was funny in a lot of places and did what it said on the tin. Billy Bonus - it got us out of the house for another evening!

From Google ...

Since the end of their pirate radio station, life has been quiet for the Kurupt FM boys, but everything is about to change. News reaches them that one of their songs has been used on a popular game show in Japan. They've made it. Their music is reaching hundreds of thousands of people. It's finally time for them to enjoy the fame and fortune that they've always known they deserved.

Ranking
1. The Courier
2. The Last Letter from your Lover
3. Stillwater
4. Don't Breathe 2
5. The Suicide Squad
6. People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan

6 comments:

  1. That's such a good feeling, isn't it, Col, when you find yourself liking something lots more than you thought you would. And you've had some good views. I'm especially noticing The Courier; I like Cumberbatch, and I've liked him in the roles I've seen him play. The plot of that one sounds good, too.

    ps. I'll be interested in what you think of Drvenkar's Sorry when you get to that one. I thought his You was innovative and solidly noir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Margot. The Courier was really good. I hope you like it if and when you get to it. I hadn't heard of the real life situation concerning the British businessman and his Russian contact prior to this.

      Thanks for reminding me of SORRY! More books than time I'm sad to say!

      Delete
  2. The Courier is new to me and sounds worth a try. Glad to hear that you liked Stillwater. We might want to see that some time. (We watch everything on disc or streaming, haven't go out to the theater in decades.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy our cinema outings. The multiplex we use is 20 mins from our house and parking is free so it's nice to get out, especially after enduring an absence of outside entertainment durid COVID. I think you would enjoy both The Courier and Stillwater, Tracy when the opportunity arises.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this. Haven’t seen any of them. Always looking for something good to watch. COURIER played for months at a local theater, but we never got around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can catch it later mate, it'll be worth it in my opinion. Stillwater might be worth a watch as well.

      Delete