Sunday 16 April 2017

DECEMBER 2016 - READING LIST AND PICK OF THE MONTH

A year's reading ending with a bit of a damp squib rather than a big bang.....4 books read in the month......4.........WTF !!!!!


Minor consolation they were all very good, even if the paltry month gave me a yearly total of 108  - a dozen short of my annual 120 aim.

They were....

Parnell Hall - Detective (1987) - 5 STARS

Fingers Murphy - Everything I Tell You is a Lie (2011) - 4.5 STARS

Trace Conger - The Shadow Broker (2014) - 4.5 STARS

Jack Clark - Nobody's Angel (2013) - 4.5 STARS




Book of the month - obvious really Parnell Hall's Detective - the opener to a long series from Hall.

More useless trivia......

4 different authors.

3 of the 4 were new-to-me authors........  Jack Clark has been read before.

Gender analysis - no surprises here - all male, nada females


I think all 4 authors hail from the US,

All were fiction, all 4 were Kindle reads.

 

3 were published this decade - with 1 from 1987.

3 of the 8 books were pre-owned! 1 came from the author.

Favourite cover? Fingers Murphy - Everything I Tell You is a Lie

Nobody's Angel is my second favourite cover.

My reads were this long 239 - 128 - 299 - 224
Total page count =  890 (1419 in November)

0 < 50,
0 between 51 < 100,
1 between 101 < 200,
3 between 201 < 300,
0 between 301 < 400,
0 > 400 pages

Trace Conger's The Shadow Broker was the longest @ 299.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad the books you read were good 'uns, Co. The Murphy and the Conger sound interesting, and I hope you'll post reviews at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all good reads Margot - reviews at some point!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you liked Detective by Parnell Hall. That is one of Glen's favorite ongoing series and I enjoyed that book a lot too. I need to get to reading more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Tracy says this is one of my favorite current series. I'm going slow with it and have (i think) read four so far. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. I think I bought it on Glen's recommendation, or at least he sang Hall's praises so I thought I should give it a try. I have a couple more in the series, the 3rd and the 5th ones, Client and Favor. Maybe I'll get 2 and 4, but I don't think I can allow myself to go crazy. There's 20+ in total!

      Delete
  3. Col, there are times when I have read just one book a month. If last year was bad reading-wise, this one has been worse so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I'm going well so far this year, hopefully it continues!

      Delete
  4. Parnell Hall sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read any from this series. And can't be starting on a new author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has about 19 books in another series - Puzzle Lady - maybe you encountered him there?

      Delete
    2. That doesn't sound familiar, but it does sound intriguing...

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you will have completed both series of books before I've read a second from him!

      Delete