Tuesday 15 December 2015

2 BY DON WINSLOW

2 from Don Winslow this week. I first read Winslow back in the 90's with California Fire and Life and The Death and Life of Bobby Z.

I then dipped my toes in the waters of his Neal Carey series, though I was a little bit thwarted in reading all 5 in the series, because at the time the books were scarcer than rocking horse pooh and as a consequence were fairly expensive.












Since 2005 he has published 8 books and I've bought myself 7 of them and read exactly ZERO.







Power of the Dog
1. The Power of the Dog (2005)
2. The Cartel (2015)


Savages
1. The Kings of Cool (2012)
2. Savages (2010)

Novels
The Winter of Frankie Machine (2006)
The Dawn Patrol (2008)
The Gentlemen's Hour (2009)
Satori (2011)

The only one missing is this year's release The Cartel, which while sounding pretty good is a bit long for my liking!



THE KINGS OF COOL (2012)

In Savages, Don Winslow introduced Ben and Chon, twenty-something best friends who risk everything to save the girl they both love, O. Among the most celebrated thrillers in recent memory - and now a major motion picture directed by Academy Award - winning filmmaker Oliver Stone - Savages was picked as a best book of the year by Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly, Janet Maslin in The New York Times, and Sarah Weinman in the Los Angeles Times. Now, in this high-octane prequel, Winslow reaches back in time to tell the story of how Ben, Chon, and O became the people they are. Spanning from 1960s Southern California to the recent past, The Kings of Cool is a breathtakingly original saga of family in all its forms - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, friends and lovers. As the trio at the center of the book does battle with a cabal of drug dealers and crooked cops, they come to learn that their future is inextricably linked with their parents' history. A series of breakneck twists and turns puts the two generations on a collision course, culminating in a stunning showdown that will force Ben, Chon, and O to choose between their real families and their loyalty to one another. Fast-paced, provocative, and wickedly funny, The Kings of Cool is a spellbinding love story for our times from a master novelist at the height of his powers. It is filled with Winslow's trademark talents - complex characters, sharp dialogue, blistering social commentary - that have earned him an obsessive following. The result is a book that will echo in your mind and heart long after you've turned the last page.

THE WINTER OF FRANKIE MACHINE (2006)

The author of The Death and Life of Bobby Z. and The Power of the Dog now gives us a fierce and funny new novel—and a blistering new take on the Mafia story.

Frank Machianno is a late-middle-aged ex - surf bum who runs a bait shack on the San Diego waterfront when he's not juggling any of his other three part-time jobs or trying to get a quick set in on his longboard. He's a stand-up businessman, a devoted father to his daughter, and a beloved fixture in the community.

Frank's also a hit man. Specifically: a retired hit man. Back in the day, when he was one of the most feared members of the West Coast Mafia, he was known as Frankie Machine. Years ago Frank consigned his Mob ties to the past, which is where he wants them to stay. But a favor being called in now by the local boss is one Frank can't refuse, and soon he's sucked back into the treacherous currents of his former life. Someone from the past wants him dead. He has to figure out who, and why, and he has to do it fast.

The problem is that the list of candidates is about the size of his local phone book and Frank's rapidly running out of time.


And then things go really bad.

14 comments:

  1. Very similar experience: I read a couple of Winslows, I guess in the 90s, and absolutely loved them. In those days I used to visit America occasionally, and always tried to see if there was anything by him because - as you say - they were v hard to find. But I haven't read anything by him for years now, and really should. Cool Breeze on the Underground was my favourite, I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the next two in the Carey series logged, but never bothered with the rest because of cost. I think they may be available digitally these days and cheaper as a result.
      I think he had an espionage book out as well in the 90s - ISLE OF JOY.

      Delete
  2. Very glad to see you feature Winslow's work, Col. I think he has a really effective way of depicting Southern California. And he does tell a solid story. I need to reacquaint myself with his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks - you and me both regarding getting reacquainted with him!

      Delete
  3. Col, I'm going to look for "Savages," book and film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the film in the last year or so, it was ok but not amazing in my opinion. I still have the book to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. A new name to me. Will have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a look, though his books do seem to be growing longer and longer every time. (A slight negative for me, I'm afraid)

      Delete
  5. I have heard of this author but not read any of his books. I will look forward to some reviews from you or Moira to help me decide if I should try one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan and I'm sure you won't mind waiting! Moira will no doubt read him again before I do.

      Delete
  6. I read and enjoyed The Power of the Dog. I have The Cartel, in "waiting" mode as I finish up a historical fantasy novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with THE CARTEL. I'm a bit intimidated by its length - 640-odd pages. I think I'd rather read 3 books at 200 each at the minute.

      Delete
    2. I know, right? I bet he could have cut some of the pages down. I found The Power of the Dog kind of long-winded as well.

      Delete
    3. I just looked up the page lengths of all his books (yeah I know - too much time on my hands!). THE POWER OF THE DOG and THE CARTEL are the two longest at 640 and 560 each - so you did choose his chunksters. SATORI is also over 500 pages and the rest (which surprised me) weigh in around 280 - 350. Enjoy!

      Delete