Wednesday 16 October 2013

MICHAEL ROBOTHAM - BOMBPROOF


Synopsis/blurb.......

Sami Macbeth is not a master criminal. He's not even a minor one. He's not a jewel thief. He's not a safe-cracker. He's not an expert in explosives. Sami plays guitar and wants to be a rock god but keeps getting side-tracked by unforeseen circumstances.

Fifty-four hours ago Sami was released from prison. Thirty-six hours ago he slept with the woman of his dreams at the Savoy. An hour ago his train blew up. Now he's carrying a rucksack through London's West End and has turned himself into the most wanted terrorist in the country.
Fast, funny, hip and violent, Bombproof is a non-stop adventure full of unforgettable characters and a heart-warming hero - Sami Macbeth - a man with the uncanny ability to turn a desperate situation into a hopeless one.

Michael Robotham is an author who has been recommended to me as someone who I would probably enjoy reading, advice I have managed to ignore until now. Robotham has to date authored 9 novels – 3 standalones and 6 in a series with psychologist, Joseph O’Loughlin. Lost and Shatter, both from his O’Loughlin series have won the Ned Kelly Award for best novel in 2005 and 2008 respectively.     

Verdict......boom, Robotham blew me away with this one!

There’s a lively cast of characters.......a bent cop, a retired cop – still troubled by the old case and the villain who got away from him, the villain – now Mr Clean, hobnobbing with Judges and Politicians, but still dirty in his dealings, his deviant son – a chip off the old-block but lacking his father’s intelligence and cunning, another wannabee crime king-pin, pimp with a ruthless enforcer, various low-level drug dealers, users and general low-life scum. Add Sami Macbeth, fresh out of jail after serving a stretch for possession; then throw in his beautiful sister, Nadia who has suddenly disappeared from her flat.      

Macbeth thinks he can get his life back on track after being turned over by the justice system.  Other people have plans for him though; plans which involve turning Nadia into a crack-addicted whore who’ll dance dirty for another hit from the pipe. If Tony Murphy can persuade Sami into utilising his legendary safe-cracking skills on an evidence locker at the Old Bailey, maybe he can save Nadia.

When the Old Bailey gig goes pear-shaped and Sami’s shadow inadvertently blows up an underground train, Sami and his rucksack have all of the Met’s finest hunting him down.  It’s hard to save yourself in these circumstances, let alone your sister.

Bombs, bullets, hostages, snipers, parole officers, cops, hotels, prison, drugs, sex, violence, death and payback...all make an appearance as Sami’s first few days on the outside don’t go to plan.

Overall, a fast addictive read at just over 300 pages. Funny and furious. I’m sorely tempted to try more from the author.......if only the TBR pile wasn't so big, if only I had more time, if only I didn't work for a living.

4 stars from 5


Bombproof was originally published in 2008 and has just been being re-issued by Mulholland books. I obtained access to this title after receiving an invite on Net Galley.

12 comments:

  1. Col, this sounds like a good thriller. The "out of prison-back on the run" plot seems oddly familiar at least as far as films go though I can't recall any, barring "Three Fugitives" which was a comedy. These are the kind of books I can read inside of three hours provided I read without a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant - a really excellent thriller. I do like the one man up against it type book (and film) as long as it stays credible. 99/100 times you know the hero is going to survive against the odds, but getting to the end of the journey with the author keeping you guessing takes skill and Robotham has it, if this one is anything to go by.

      Delete
  2. I have read one book by this author, The Suspect, and I liked it without going overboard. If I had endless time I would certainly try another one by him, but this may not happen soon. Let's campaign for more time in the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, 10 days in a week - 5 days weekends, 30 hour days sounds good to me. If I cross paths with Robotham, I'd try more - as long as it doesn't compromise my efforts at cutting down on adding to the TBR mountain.

      Delete
  3. This does sound very interesting. I have wanted to read some of this author's books too. But if I don't already have them in the TBR pile (I am not sure), then it will be a while. I am with you on all of your "if only" wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy - well worth a read in my opinion, but I could say that about hundreds of books and the time just isn't there......(pulls a sad face!)

      Delete
  4. Col, I list Robotham on my favourites and I recommend you try more. Bombproof was originally published in Australia as a freebie in a reading promotion. It is a little different from the "series" books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerrie, thanks. I remember you recommending him before, but I know if I try the 1st in the series, I will probably want to get the 2nd, and the 3rd......

      Delete
  5. Col - I've liked Michael Robotham's work for some time. Like Kerrie, I do highly recommend the series. It's really worth starting it and working your way through..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAARGH.....Are you and Kerrie ganging up on me? Maybe I will see if the library has the first in the series

      Delete
  6. Feel like the odd woman out. I've never read this writer. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll get to him this year or next year. Look a this! I'm starting to sound like you now with the it will have to wait. I enjoyed your review though :-) and sadly I am just now catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keishon, when you start sounding like me, well things are heading downhill! This year, next year....plenty of time

      Delete