Monday 4 July 2022

JUNE 2022 - FILMS (CINEMA)

A cracking month's cinema.....

5 outings, 1 a second viewing and enjoyed just as much the second time around - Tom Cruise and Top Gun. Dinosaurs, a music biopic which was sad and amazing - Elvis, a cracking honour film - The Black Phone and the legend that is Nick Cage!

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

A second trip to see this, this time with my dear wife. I had to watch it on my own first time around. Just as thrilling, just as exciting, just as sad seeing Val Kilmer. Enjoyed more because of the company that I keep.

From Google....

After more than 30 years of service as one of the Navy's top aviators, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. Training a detachment of graduates for a special assignment, Maverick must confront the ghosts of his past and his deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who choose to fly it.


Elvis (2022) 

I think this was an amazing film, not least because of the music throughout which had me tapping my feet. Austin Butler is brilliant. Tom Hanks is pretty damn good also. I found it quite sad, seeing how the superstar was exploited by his ruthless manager - pretty much a work horse, driven into the ground.

Two and a half hours passed in a flash. I'd happily watch this one again. Similar vibes to the Elton John and Freddie Mercury bio-pics. Fame and celebrity isn't everything, sometimes they mask a lot of unhappiness, past and present.

From Google ....

From his rise to fame to his unprecedented superstardom, rock 'n' roll icon Elvis Presley maintains a complicated relationship with his enigmatic manager, Colonel Tom Parker, over the course of 20 years. Central to Presley's journey and happiness is one of the most influential people in his life -- Priscilla.


The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)


Nick Cage starring as Nick Cage, bizarre eh? Very funny and very entertaining. Cage is a bit like Marmite. You either love him or hate him. I'd err towards loving, but that said I haven't rushed to see all his films and some of them haven't had me swooning in my seat. Favourite - Matchstick Men

A good time was had!

From Google ....

Unfulfilled and facing financial ruin, actor Nick Cage accepts a $1 million offer to attend a wealthy fan's birthday party. Things take a wildly unexpected turn when a CIA operative recruits Cage for an unusual mission. Taking on the role of a lifetime, he soon finds himself channeling his most iconic and beloved characters to save himself and his loved ones.


Jurassic World Dominion (2022)

I'm not sure how many films this makes in the franchise, but it was an enjoyable couple of hours. The old gang were re-united - Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill and Laura Dern

I don't think I've seen all the films, but this one wasn't a turkey, as fas as I'm concerned. Not rushing to get the DVD when it drops. There's worse ways of spending a couple of hours and it's a trip out.

From Google....

Four years after the destruction of Isla Nublar, dinosaurs now live and hunt alongside humans all over the world. This fragile balance will reshape the future and determine, once and for all, whether human beings are to remain the apex predators on a planet they now share with history's most fearsome creatures.


The Black Phone (2021)


A bit of horror and plenty of thrills. I really liked this one and I'm not a massive fan of a horror film usually. I loved the action, the story, the characters, the tension, the outcome. I absolutely loved the connection between the brother and sister. It reminded me of the bond between my own children.

Another one I would happily watch again.

From Google....

Finney Shaw is a shy but clever 13-year-old boy who's being held in a soundproof basement by a sadistic, masked killer. When a disconnected phone on the wall starts to ring, he soon discovers that he can hear the voices of the murderer's previous victims -- and they are dead set on making sure that what happened to them doesn't happen to Finney. 

Rankings.

1. The Black Phone

2. Elvis

3. Top Gun: Maverick

4. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

5. Jurassic World Dominion 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such great viewing, Col. I've been wondering what Elvis was like, and I'd heard Hanks was fantastic as Tom Parker. I can't say I'm the biggest Elvis fan ever, although I certainly acknowledge his influence, etc. But the biopic does sound good, and your mention of Bohemian Rhapsody (which I loved) and Rocket Man have piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy Elvis, Margot even if you weren't his number one fan.

      Delete