Tuesday 26 July 2016

2 BY TODD MORR

2 from the Kindle this week and author Todd Morr.



Not an author I know a lot about if I’m truthful, only that he seems to be writing the kind of stuff I want to read. I’ve read the first chapter or two from each of these and it was a struggle to set them aside and get back to the three other books currently on the go.

He did have an earlier novel out which no longer seems to be available - Captain Cooker - I suppose I ought to worry about these two bad boys first and then the other 5000-odd books in the library before fretting over the one that got away!


Todd Morr has a Facebook page here and you can catch him on Twitter - @toddmorr1











Jesus Saves Satan Invests (2014)

IT STARTED with a message on her answering machine: ‘JESUS SAVES SATAN INVESTS.’ Living comfortably off the spoils of her ill-gotten gain as the centerpiece of a blackmail ring, Janet did not need to know the caller was currently sharing trunk space with a fresh corpse.

How could the day get any worse?

Easily... Jesus Saves, Satan invests is an action packed warp-speed rollercoaster ride through hell with a few pit-stops to load up on ammo along the way.

ABOUT TODD MORR

"The man has an ear for great dialogue. It was compelling just enough to read the characters stab back and forth with their words. The scenes were well-constructed and tight. Morr managed to keep the lead character floating in that shade of grey where yeah, he was exonerated, but does it really matter? I want another book out of this guy. Tomorrow." - Ryan Sayles

"Todd Morr has done something incredible with Jesus Saves, Satan Invests. He's written a crime book that almost seems like instead of being written, it was choreographed like some massive movie fight or action sequence, or really, directed like the ultimate chase movie. I mean, wow, with some kind of plot genius, he created about 20 fascinating and dangerous characters -- all engaged in a desperate chase of the one main and completely fascinating and very dangerous character -- Janet, or Margarita Corona. No need for boring back story or descriptions of setting Morr just keeps things moving from start to finish while managing to somehow slip in back story and vivid details without the reader even noticing that the action has slowed for a moment, like some kind of magician. So do you get what I am saying? This book is simply one of the most wonderful crime books I've ever read." - Mike Monson.

"Fast and freaking furious." - James Newman

Upon graduating from Adams State College with a degree in fine art Todd Morr decided if he was going to be a starving artist, he preferred music and writing. Morr lives in Salinas, California with his wife and children. He has published short stories in Out of the Gutter, Shotgun Honey and Death Throes Webzine. His first novel Captain Cooker, is out with Snubnose Press.

If You’re Not One Percent (2016)

Rem had found a girlfriend, work as a handyman and settled into anonymous life in a small mountain town.

Unfortunately, some young locals have decided to go on a killing spree, and Rem knows it. It would be nice to go the law, but Rem has secrets of his own, and decides to stop them himself.
Even in a small personal war things rarely go as planned, and Rem did not intend to end up trapped in a house with his girlfriend Delany, her best friend Denise, and a gutshot tourist--surrounded by a group of murderous rednecks who would be happy to add Rem's name to their growing list of victims.

Another amazing 280 Steps cover!

10 comments:

  1. That is a potent cover, Col! I can't say I'm familiar with Morr's work, but it does sound fast-paced and full of adrenaline. I hope you'll enjoy the books when you get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. I think I'll have fun reading these two!

      Delete
  2. I think I'd read "Jesus Saves, Satan Invests" first, Col. Unusual titles that convey nothing about what's inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I retrospectively reflect on how well titles and covers reflect on content after reading. I'm more drawn by a cover than a title, but these are attention grabbing without giving up too many clues. Blurbs I think are the main deal clincher for me when choosing a book

      Delete
  3. Col – These sound like my kind of books, too. And, I think I’ve found a clue as to how you keep up such a reading pace: You have two Kindles, one for each eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I wish! I sometimes despair at the number of unread books I have and calculate the time I may have left (plenty of years I hope)- I think I've gone way past the tipping point of reading them all......and still I'm on the look-out for more new authors.
      Re TODD MORR, I think you would enjoy them also. I'm hoping to get back to completing one of them in August!

      Delete
  4. I like the covers, and they do sound good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These don't seem to be available here. Not that I was planning to increase my unread books at this time, but at least the 2nd one sounds interesting. Not sure about the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, that's strange. I thought both were put out by US publishers. Maybe when I've read them, you might like them both and find them!

      Delete