Wednesday 26 August 2015

MAX ALLAN COLLINS - HARD CASH (1981)


Synopsis/blurb.....

Heist-man Nolan is enjoying his retirement from crime, running his own restaurant, when the president of a bank he robbed two years ago shows up with a blackmail demand. All Nolan has to do is rob the bank again--and play patsy to a sexy girl friend's murder scheme. Says the Atlanta Journal Constitution: "Collins has a gift for creating believable low-life characters." With a new Introduction by the author.

My fifth read in the eight book long Nolan series from Max Allan Collins. Published back in 1981 this was another fast, pacey and intriguing read. 


Nolan thinks he's retired from bank-robbing, but he isn't. Old adversaries - the hilly billy Comforts are supposed to be dead, but they aren't. Nolan has been targeted from both ends but doesn't yet know it.  

A blackmailing bank president with a hard-headed girlfriend on the side and a wife who's more interested in where her next drink is coming from, than paying a bit of attention to her wandering husband. George Rigley has been skimming to pay for his mistress and decides that Nolan's robbed his bank once, he can do it again on Rigley's terms. Rigley fails to appreciate that he's not the one calling the shots - that would be femme fatale, Julie. Julie wants status and money and a lifestyle to suit and has plans to get it one way or another.

"Come on Nolan. You know who's screwing us in the ear, and it isn't Rigley."
Nolan yawned again, then said, "Yeah you're right. It's the bitch doing it. Christ, you'd think getting screwed by her would be more fun."

Nolan and young sidekick, Jon buy into the scheme albeit reluctantly - do they have a choice? But with the recent violent death of another criminal associate, Breen at the hands of unknown assailants (Sam Comfort and surviving son) there's more going down than just a robbery.   

There's a deceptive simplicity to the prose that kept me engaged in the story and turning the pages. Great characters, great dialogue, tremendous short scenes of of either action or just conversation.

Every box ticked.
Initially a 4, but the more I think about it, the more I liked it and the less to find fault with.

5 from 5.

The previous 4 were enjoyed and reviewed.
Bait Money
Blood Money
Fly Paper
Hush Money

The next 3 are greatly anticipated! Scratch Fever, Spree and Mourn the Living.

Max Allan Collins has his website over here. He's on Twitter - @MaxAllanCollins

I bought my copy for Kindle a couple of years ago.

14 comments:

  1. It is interesting how characters like bank robbers can really turn out to be interesting, isn't it, Col? And I do like writing that's lean without being too sparse, and witty without being laugh-a-minute. I think it suits the noir sort of feel of this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of this series and enjoy reading about Nolan's exploits. Collins has the ability to make the mundane and ordinary entertaining when Nolan's involved, though more often than not Nolan is up to something!

      Delete
  2. If it wasn't that I really don't want to start on a new series, you might almost tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, but in truth probably more my cuppa than yours Moira....

      Delete
  3. Col, I enjoy reading novels with short scenes of action and conversation, which is one reason why I like pulp noir. I am going to read Collins and Pronzini this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find the time to follow through on your intention, its not easy juggling life and a new job with reading.

      Delete
  4. I really must get round to reading some MA Collins. Can't imagine why I haven't, really. You certainly make this one sound appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you will have plenty of choice if you ever do get around to reading him!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm hoping to complete Nolan and follow on with his Quarry books. I think I'd like his Nate Heller series as well, but don't have the money or time to pursue them in addition.

      Delete
    2. When you can, try “Bye Bye, Baby” in which Heller meets Marilyn Monroe then tries to figure out the mystery of her death. It is a good one and a lot of fun with many real-life personalities mixed in with the fiction.

      Delete
    3. Cheers, I'll add this one to the list Elgin.

      Delete
  6. I knew I had a couple of Collin's books on the shelves, including Bye Bye Baby mentioned above. I had forgotten I had so many on the Kindle. I have three of the disaster series and three more from the Nate Heller series. Got to get going on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I still need to look up Bye Bye Baby. I'm avoiding DISASTER series and may just dip my toes into the NATE HELLERs.

      Delete