Friday 7 June 2013

ROB KITCHIN - STIFFED (2013)


Synopsis/blurb.....


Tadhg Maguire wakes to find himself spooning a dead man. The stiff is Tony Marino, lieutenant to mobster Aldo Pirelli. It doesn't matter how the local enforcer ended up between Tadhg’s sheets, Pirelli is liable to leap to the wrong conclusion and demand rough justice. The right thing to do would be to call the cops. The sensible thing to do would be to disappear. Forever. The only other option is to get rid of the body and pretend it was never there. No body, no crime. What he needs is a couple of friends to help dispose of the heavy corpse. Little do Tadhg’s friends know what kind of reward they’ll receive for their selfless act – threatened, chased, shot at, and kidnapped with demands to return a million dollars they don’t possess. By mid-afternoon Tadhg is the most wanted man in America. Not bad for someone who’d never previously had so much as parking ticket. If he survives the day he’s resigned to serving time, but not before he saves his friends from the same fate.


It’s a bit of a tricky review to write this one is. So we’ll have a quick Q&A session to see if that can help instead.


Is it a straight-forward crime or mystery novel? Err, not really in my opinion, as the author intentionally strives for large doses of humour throughout. As a black comedy it’s superb, with likeable good guys (for the most part) going that extra mile in the name of friendship. As a mystery or crime story with a ratcheting sense of danger and fear for the safety of our intrepid band of brethren, less so. Despite an ever increasing number of villains joining in the hunt for the missing $1 million, all brandishing a splendid array of firepower and inflicting regular doses of pain and injury on Taghg and his gang, I didn’t really feel at any time that their lives were in jeopardy.  


Did the lack of tension or danger then detract from my enjoyment of the book? Actually no, as the author gave his main characters sufficient doses of likeability, charm, intelligence, stupidity, naivety and frailty to off-set this. I viewed it more as a comedy than an out and out crime read.


Did the novel amuse, entertain, enthral and captivate you? Did you skip meals and bunk off work, in a heightened state of anxiety to try and finish in a record time? Yes, yes, hmmm...sort of, no – that’s too strong, no and no. Enjoyable, amusing, fun, interesting, a few laugh out loud moments and a few moments of quiet contemplation whilst I considered my own friendships. I read it leisurely, dragging it out over the best part of the week.


What niggled about the book? Nothing especially, some characters annoyed and irritated but I think that was the author’s intention. As the book progressed and Tadhg’s longest day unfolded, some previous unknowns were revealed, offering explanations for some earlier behaviour.


Would you read more about the characters, more from this author? Yes and yes again. I’d happily re-visit Tadgh at some point in the future, if there’s a sequel...are you listening, Rob? That said, I wouldn’t be unhappy reading more of the author’s fiction with or without Maguire and his cronies. But maybe Tadgh on a road trip to Mexico, or Cuba.....    


Overall impression then? 4 from 5, a welcome diversion from my usual fare of grittier crime books. A wee bit like the first Dortmunder novel I read from Donald Westlake – The Hot Rock.


Rob was kind enough to offer up this copy for me to read and review - cheers.


8 comments:

  1. Col - I am so very glad you enjoyed Stiffed. I did, very much. I agree with you that it's not a 'typical' crime novel (if there is such a thing, really). But it is a really well-written, engaging and sometimes downright funny story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, it made an interesting change from my usual fare, very enjoyable!

      Delete
  2. Hi Col, thanks for the fine review and glad that on the whole you enjoyed it. I haven't thought about writing a sequel - difficult to imagine that the same characters could go through so much again, but if I did write one it would probably set in Ireland rather than Cuba or Mexico. Tadgh on a trip home and finding himself in some kind of mix-up maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, you're welcome. Light and fun it certainly was, cheers.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great - I have this one on my kindle to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to it soon Sarah, I'm interested to see what you think.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe this review has been up two days and I missed it. Too much going on at work and at home (we have a new cat). I am glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading my copy as soon as I can fit it in. A comparison to a Dortmunder novel is a very good thing. Although I read humorous mysteries like that more when I was younger than now.

    And I like this style of review. I will have to remember these questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, don't you hate it when life interferes with your reading? Looking forward to your review, as and when you get to it.

      Delete