Sunday 17 May 2015

FREDRIC BROWN - THE SCREAMING MIMI (1949)

Synopsis/blurb……

Bill Sweeney is a down-and-out lush. He is also a top-notch reporter. Aroused by the naked beauty of the Ripper's fourth victim--or near-victim--Sweeney pulls himself together and goes after the killer. As he puts questions and answers together, he finds himself face to face with madness and death.

A reporter and a drunk, a beautiful nightclub stripper with her malevolent protective hound and a controlling manager, cops under pressure with the Ripper attacks frightening Chicago’s population…….newspapers, the press, nightclubs, alcohol, mental illness, blackouts, a gift shop, an out of town sculptor, family tragedy, psychiatrists and a statue of THE SCREAMING MIMI!

Loved it…..fast-paced with an intriguing main character – Bill Sweeney and his bid to solve Chicago’s Ripper murders. I particularly liked him butting heads with Yolanda Lang’s manager – Doc Greene – a real mental battle that one. Great dialogue, great setting, great resolution……..tense and taut, until the very end.

With hindsight, it seemed so simple and obvious……..and vaguely familiar – have I read it in a previous life? So what, I loved it and what’s more I’d read it again next week if I had time, which unfortunately I don’t.

The Screaming Mimi seemed fast and fresh which isn’t a feeling I usually take away from reading books written pre-50’s. A tick in every box.

5 from 5        

This was my 1949 read for Rich’s Past Offences meme here. 12 months after he kicked things off, it’s rewarding to eventually encounter a 5 star read!

This was my first taste of Fredric Brown, but I’m fairly sure I have more from him somewhere in the stacks – The Fabulous Clipjoint probably.  

Brown wrote primarily mysteries and science fiction, penning over 30 novels and a large number of short stories before his death in 1972.


I’m fairly sure I have a copy of The Screaming Mimi somewhere anyway, but downloaded a free version over at Munsey’s to ensure my timely participation in May’s challenge.


Roll on June!

There was a film version in 1958 which starred Anita Ekberg, Phil Carey and Gypsy Rose Lee.


12 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you liked this one, Col. I've always enjoyed Brown's work, and thought him very talented. He also wrote some great short stories. Next time you're in the mood for a short story, you could do far worse, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, I'm definitely interested in reading some of his short stories, more so now.

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds great, so glad you finally found a suitable choice for the year meme (or should it be mimi?). I have been aware of this title for years, and always wondered about it without actually reading it, curious to know what it meant. And Fredric Brown is responsible for one of my all-time best (and most terrifying) short stories: Don't Look Behind You. I think this one has become a must-read for me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meme-mimi, who cares? I did really enjoy this one! I'll have to look up the short story mentioned.

      Delete
  3. I thought about reading this one for the meme, but any copies I could find were too expensive. I wanted the paperback experience. I will have to put more effort into finding a copy.

    I am glad you found a pre-50s mystery you liked. I am sure that there are plenty of them. Although not necessarily easily available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy thanks. I would have preferred paperback myself, but at least with a download the older text issues I have didn't factor. I'm sure there are plenty more I would like, but like you say its finding them that's the bother. I think more contemporary and the 70-80s is more my thing.

      Delete
  4. I have the gorgeous paperback version, though I paid a bit too much for it. It was also (loosely) the inspiration for Dario Argento's film The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there has been a fair few issues over the years, I was happy enough with my ZERO outlay "copy". Not heard of the film mentioned to be honest, some investigative work to be done I think.

      Delete
  5. Col, I have never read Fredric Brown though I have been intending to read his noir fiction. I like the idea of reading his short stories. That way I'll get to his work faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to look up his short stories - at least his mystery ones and try and find the one Moira hat-tipped without dipping into my wallet!

      Delete
  6. As I mentioned to you, I'm considering reading this soonish. Glad to hear it's as good as I'd heard!

    I've read two or three collections of Brown's collections of short and short-short stories, and would certainly recommend them. They're billed as sf/fantasy, but most of them fall into a category that's uniquely Brown's. Some of the short-shorts are basically just smutty jokes/tall tales. Probably the shortest is one of his most famous, "The End"; you can find it in its entirety here.

    Once again, my server appears to be blocking your e-updates -- yours and those from Science Daily. Grr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      THE END - Wow, bloody hell, how clever is that?

      Delete