Sunday 3 May 2015

APRIL 2015 - FILMS AND TV

April either wasn't that fantastic a month for my viewing, or was a really poor month for my memory. The list of things I have written down seems very sparse and I'm sure we watched more than this!

A twelve part series set somewhere on the Arctic circle. My son got us interested in this, though we had to watch all off it in the space of about 5 days, because he had only taken out a trial subscription and it was due to expire. Intriguing storyline and for a long while I wondered whether there was a supernatural explanation to our baffling murders. Great cast, Christopher Ecclestone, though he dies fairly early on and the bloke who played Dumbledore in Harry Potter, to mention the two easily recognisable actors. Great tension, with characters I hated and viewed with suspicion, which kind of mellowed as the series went on. Recommended  

A film my daughter chose for us and it was okay. I recognise the blonde lady from something else. Melissa McCarthy was also in it. Alright for passing an hour and a half.

Latest Coen brothers offering and it was okay as most of their films are, if a trifle slow.

50% watched, 50% to go. We were enjoying it but the eyelids started drooping. Usually if I'm not in bed by 10.30 I turn into a pumpkin, I pushed the boundaries here, but still couldn't manage all of it. I do like some Brosnan. No singing in this one though..

Season 5 just started. No idea what is going on but I'm liking it.

Safe House - new crime series on British TV. A couple of episodes so far, a retired protection officer with something from his past opened up his secluded B+B to house a family in need of protection from a violent criminal involved in drugs. Christopher Ecclestone again. So far so good.

Series two or series three, I'm not sure, but the madcap team from 99 are back.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting to see that you thought Fortitude was worth the watch. It was on free to air TV here and I started but gave up at about episode 4 or 5 - realised I didn't really know what was going on - or care - might actually have been better as a binge watch rather than waiting for new episode each week as I tended to forget what was going on.

    I think I'm the only person on the planet not watching Game of Thrones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, but binge watching may well be the way to go with a lot of series. I seem to be limping my way through a fair few. I was quite involved in Fortitude, I think not liking a lot of the characters helped me stay invested.

      Delete
  2. Safe House sounds like a good 'un, Col. Glad you're enjoying it so far. And nice to know you thought The Thomas Crown Affair worth watching. I like Brosnan well enough, too - unless he's singing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brosnan definitely has more appeal when he's talking and not singing!

      Delete
  3. I watched the Coen bros film this month too, and though there were some good bits, I was, like you, pretty underwhelmed... best film of the month in our house was Paddington, an easter treat for all the family, we all loved it from ages 21 to 88 (no actual children, but that was fine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I kind of expected more from it to be honest.
      Might see Paddington one day........... you know the day when the kids strap me to the chair in front of the telly!

      Delete
  4. Fortitude looks interesting. I told Glen to look into it. We still haven't tried Brooklyn Nine Nine but it is on the queue and we will get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortitude should be up Glen's street with all the snow around. There's a wee bit of science too, we really liked it.

      Delete
    2. We finally got Brooklyn Nine-Nine from Netflix and have watched the first 8 episodes. They are very funny. Glad we got to the series.

      Delete
    3. Oh that's great, I'm glad you're both enjoying it. It's daft, but it does make me laugh!

      Delete
  5. Col, I like Pierce Brosnan too, especially in non-action films like THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, as mentioned above, and LAWS OF ATTRACTION (opposite Julianne Moore) and DANTE'S PEAK. One of his earliest action films was LIVE WIRE where he plays a bomb disposal expert who is fighting to save his marriage with Lisa Eilbacher (who plays Eddie Murphy's friend in BEVERLY HILLS COP).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant there's a few of these films I have heard of but don't know anything about. I like Brosnan and he's watchable as opposed to must-watch. I think Julianne Moore is a very good actress. I'll look these up.

      Delete
  6. I like the look of Fortitude -- must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is well worth a look, John. The rest probably aren't up your street. A lot of my viewing is controlled by the females in the house, including two teenage girls! I don't even know what the remote looks like!

      Delete