Tuesday 19 May 2015

2 BY VICTOR CANNING

A couple this week from an author prolific in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s - Victor Canning.


According to the bit of author biography on Fantastic Fiction his reputation has faded in the years since his death. It might be false memory, but I’m sure I can remember seeing his books on the shelves in the 70’s and 80’s.












Firecrest and Rainbird aren’t listed as series books, but apparently form part of his Birdcage series of novels. Espionage, agents and intrigue……

I’ll see how these two go before committing to any others – always assuming I find the time to read these two!



Firecrest


A famous scientist, strangely, suddenly dead. The secret he may or may not have entrusted to  his beautiful, depraved mistress. A revenge-filled British agent assigned to find the missing document. And a chilling error the Department discovered much too late...



This one was published originally in 1971,










The Rainbird Pattern

Thriller - Victor Canning, that Superb storyteller, features a brilliant, methodical killer who should never have been caught. He even finds room for a chilling surprise at the end [New York Times]


1972 saw this one published. There's something about animal masks that freaks me out to be honest!






Canning was British and he died in 1986.


8 comments:

  1. I always think of Victor Canning as the author that Dads had on their bookshelves when I was growing up. I feel I must have read one at least (because I read everything on the home bookcases) but can remember nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, though I don't reckon my dad would have read him...... no Irish content!

      Delete
  2. I'm not usually one to reach for an espionage thriller, Col, so Firecrest doesn't really sound up my street. Still, I'll be interested in your opinion of it and the other when you get to them. And I'm like you and Moira: I read all of the parents' books on the bookshelf when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not your preferred type of reading and I wouldn't go for them always myself, but I do like to mix it up every so often.......I do like the double-dealing and the intrigue and often the sense of mistrust and isolation you often get with this genre. And I also get nostalgic about older books I can still picture from my childhood.

      Delete
  3. I did read Firecrest and liked it a lot. The description from Goodreads does not sound very much like the book to me, especially the description of the "depraved mistress." But certainly espionage is not for everyone. I do have a copy of The Rainbird Pattern and I hope to read it soonish... but you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your Firecrest experience had me acquiring the first 2 or 3 in the series. The thing with older books is the descriptions and blurbs are often non-existent, unless they are really well known and famous titles........soonish sounds good - I'll aim for that as well, a bit non-specific so I can't feel I've disappointed myself!

      Delete
  4. Col, aside from your marvellous tubs, I'm pretty sure I have seen Victor Canning's books elsewhere. The author's stylised name on the covers looks familiar. Surely worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely a blast from the past, Prashant. I'm sure you could acquire some via your favoured street-sellers.

      Delete