Monday 15 February 2021

ARMAND ROSAMILIA - DIRTY DEEDS (2016)

 


Synopsis/blurb....

I get paid to erase problems.

Did your extramarital affair produce an unwanted complication? Family problems? Just want to enjoy your midlife crisis by yourself?

That's where I come in. For a fee I'll take care of it. A big fee.

Only, I'm not going to do what you think. I'm not going to save you from them, I’m going to save them from you.

My second outing on Audible with author Armand Rosamilia following on from his Belford Stories. Dirty Deeds had me back in more familiar crime fiction territory with the first in Rosamilia's Dirty Deeds series.

Listened to and enjoyed a month ago, though some of the finer details escape me... ie the main character's name and those of the supporting cast, mainly his assistant and the FBI agent with a hard-on for him and a passion to bring him to justice for murder of the multiple variety. All our agent has though is suspicion and no hard evidence.

Our main man though ain't a murderer, though he does discretely advertise as such. He'll take a contract for a killing, usually a family member and he'll disappear them, but not in a permanent sense - finding adoptive parents and new identities, while palming the coin offered.

Here, one of his previous jobs comes back to bite him on the bum. A kid he relocated years ago has appeared back on the radar and the mobster who paid for the hit on his son, wants words with our man. Our man's troubles are only beginning.  

It's a busy book with plenty going on. We get back story for the main man - he's a baseball card trader by day and has no money worries. His assistant is one of his previous saves. The cop who is after him, far from proving an adversary seems more like an ally and they have more in common than previously thought. You can't always outrun the past.

I'm very sketchy on detail and I probably should have penned a few bullet points shortly after putting it down, but hey hoh. I enjoyed it. I wasn't bored. The main character is likable and whilst the whole set-up saving kids scenario is a bit of a stretch it's an entertaining one. I kind of think the ending is unresolved, just an obvious lead into the cunningly titled sequel Deadly Deeds 2.

3.5 from 5

Rosamilia's Belford Stories was enjoyed a month or two back.


Read - (listened to) January, 2021
Published - 2016
Page count - 208 (4 hrs 59 mins)
Source - Audible purchase
Format - Audible   

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting twist on the 'killer for hire' sort of novel, Col. And I do like that bit of cleverness. The protagonist sounds sympathetic, too, which is always a plus. I know what you mean about a plot that asks a lot of your disbelief, but I can see how in this case, it might be appealing. Glad you found things to like about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot I will be reading more from this author. He has an interesting body of work I think.

      Delete