Saturday 17 February 2024

PETER FOLEY - RED SHIFT (2022)

 


Synopsis/blurb...

Fukushima: when a series of disasters devastate Japan, three criminals are presented with the perfect opportunity for a jailbreak.

Last year I released a novel called Mika Ito and it told the story of love and dark secrets in the midst of a series of epic disasters. However, I really thought Mika’s father, Shinsuke Takahashi, deserved to have his side of the story told.

Giving Shinsuke the limelight in the original Mika Ito would have been wrong: it was Mika and Dylan’s story. But I kept returning to the idea, extending it to all the villains in the Mika Ito universe, and I made a promise that one day I would tell their story.

That day is today.

Red Shift is a novella that begins on the day of the Fukushima disaster and follows the Mika Ito timeline, but it tells the story exclusively from the villain’s point of view. It's both an exciting stand-alone novella and a companion to Mika Ito.

An okay story of villain's escaping from custody during an earthquake and an attempt by the leader of them to reconnect with his estranged daughter.

I think my main issue with the story was a lack of empathy for any of the characters and as such nothing that happened to any of them affected me as I read it. My overwhelming feeling was indifference.

If I had read the longer, connected novel - Mika Ito, perhaps I would have gotten more from the story, but maybe not. There were a few plot points in this tale which required a slight stretch of credibility to believe in, but as it was only a relatively short piece of writing as opposed to something that required more of a time investment I could overlook them without too much irritation.

Overall okay, but not great.   


2.5 stars from 5

Read - February, 2024

Published - 2022

Page count - 79

Source - copy from author courtesy of email sign-up to his page

Format - Kindle

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Thought I'd drop by and say hi, I think we've both been a bit patchy with the posting, and I haven't been doing much blog visiting either, but it's good to see you doing some more. Also good to see that the style of books hasn't changed, still as Col as ever! (Imagine if I came over and you were reviewing a Mills & Boon....)
    Hope all well with you and yours.
    I don't think this one is for me, but I'm sure I will find something in that tiny sliver of crossover between Clothes & Col's Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're doing well, Moira? I can't really say I've missed posting TBH. Still reading the same old things, I don't think that will change ever. All is good in sunny/rainy Leighton Buzzard thanks!

      Delete