Wednesday 22 April 2015

GRAHAM WYND - EXTRICATE (2014)


Synopsis/blurb……..

EXTRICATE is a violent tale of sexual obsession, unfolding on the dark streets of a nowhere town. Peter falls for Judy the instant he lights her cigarette, but she’s his best mate’s girl — and he’s already married. He decides to begin removing obstacles — starting with his wife. How far will he be willing to go? How far does lifelong friendship go when he finally meets the woman of his peculiar dreams?

 ‘EXTRICATE is a twisty- turny noir tale of dishonor amongst thieves that is skewered with hot lust and cold blooded murder.’ ~ Paul D. Brazill, author of Guns Of Brixton and Gumshoe

‘Crime meets erotica in a fevered novella. Graham Wynd has written a fluid and tight story with vivid characters in situations that are inextricably charged with a sexuality from which you will find it hard to extricate yourself.’ ~ Richard Godwin, author of One Lost Summer, Apostle Rising and Mr Glamour

50 pages long and a fantastic tale of friendship and deceit, interspersed with sex, drink, cards, a loveless marriage, dodgy dealings, but mainly sex as Peter’s obsession and addiction to his best friend’s girl leads him down a dangerous path.

I liked Peter and disliked the harping, nagging hard-drinking wife. I shed no tears over her demise. Pete’s betrayal of Dud and his method of dealing with him, to secure the alluring and passionate Judy turned me.
True to form Peter, continues to think through his nether regions up until the end.   

Satisfying characters and a great tale. I look forward to reading more from Graham Wynd and her alter-ego in the future.

A slight down-side my version of this was for Kindle whereas the paperback edition includes extra material. Nevermind – an enjoyable hour’s reading.

4 from 5

Graham Wynd
Purchased from Amazon back in 2014.

Graham Wynd has a blog here.






K. A. Laity has her website here

White Rabbit awaits me some time in the future.



14 comments:

  1. I've been hearing very good things about this one, Col. And it is amazing what obsession will do to a person... Glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I hope you find the time to try it. My first taste of KA/GW's writing, but definitely not my last!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Col! :-) If you enjoyed that, I think you will like White Rabbit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - you're welcome.
      Roll on White Rabbit - a real psychic, pretending to be a fake..........you couldn't make that up....err, yes you could...

      Delete
  3. This strays beyond my interests, although if I did not have huge amounts of books on the TBR pile, I might give it a try anyway.

    I think Glen has White Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't put you off, but I know what it's like with TBRs

      Delete
    2. I investigated, and Glen had already read White Rabbit. He gave it to me, so I will probably read it. Maybe not in 2015, but someday.

      Delete
    3. How did he get on with it? I can't remember if he put a review up on Goodreads or not, hopefully he enjoyed it (and you will too)!

      Delete
    4. He did put up a review on Goodreads, and the book did not really work for him. The premise sounds good to me, so I will try it. He did complain about the lack of chapter divisions, which might bother me also.

      Delete
    5. Oh, ok thanks. I may have seen it or missed it - dodgy memory.
      I don't think lack of chapter clarity bothers me. I get more troubled by multiple narrators - but only when the switch between characters isn't immediately apparent. Some authors flag it by - a new chapter maybe with a character's name, one of my current reads hasn't.

      Delete
  4. Col, I wouldn't mind reading EXTRICATE. I haven't read a "violent tale of sexual obsession" in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth an hour of your time Prashant. I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Love the cover, am intrigued by this multiple-personality author, but it sounds as though White Rabbit is the one for me...anything with psychics (real or fake) grabs me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do like your psychics, hope you take the plunge then!

      Delete