Friday 26 August 2022

A. L. NORTON and DELL SWEET - WHITE TRASH (2021)

 


Synopsis/blurb...

Fourteen million dollars in a burned suitcase. Severed body parts of a dead man in a duffel bag. Two hired killers. A drug dealer. Two organized crime kingpins; all chasing two white trash kids from New York down to the deep south as they head for what they think will be safety in Mexico. Put the story together and you have one hell of a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde.

Adult content. Sex and violence.

I think I was searching for a non-fiction book of the same name when I crossed paths with this one. In for a penny in for a pound, I quite liked the sound of the premise and thought I would give it a go.

Fast-paced, enjoyable, decent storyline, violence, death, drugs, money, severed body parts, opportunity, a new life, flight, pursuit, a road trip, motels, car lots, hitmen, dodgy cops and a supposedly naive young couple, David and April who upon finding a proverbial pot of gold and disappearing off into the sunset to live happily ever after. It's not like someone's gonna miss 14 million dollars and the same again in drugs.

Best book ever? No, but I had a good time with the story and where it went. We open with a car chase and shoot out and the merchandise liberated from a burning vehicle by David. April is soon introducing herself to him and before long they're off and running. 

Later in the story, we have an information dump which reveals the origins of the money and drugs and the deal and the other players. Whilst it answered a few questions, it was a bit of a clunky dump which jarred a little bit.

The rest I really liked. I sympathised and was rooting for David to come out ahead at the end of the book, preferably with young April in tow. Sometimes you don't get everything you want.

An enjoyable encounter and a profitable punt on a pair of unknown authors. I'd definitely have a look at their next collaboration.

4 stars from 5     
    
Read - August, 2022
Published - 2021
Page count - 275
Source - Kindle Unlimited
Format - Kindle

A. L. Norton

Dell Sweet

2 comments:

  1. Not sure this is for me, Col, if I'm being honest. But I do like a plot line of sympathetic characters trying to beat the odds. Glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your honesty, Margot. No one book has universal appeal. I quite liked it myself!

      Delete