Tuesday 13 November 2018

2 BY ALISON BRUCE

Two this week from Alison Bruce, another author I have yet to try.

The Times like her - 'As always, Bruce produces a rewarding read.'

Sophie Hannah likes her - 'Alison Bruce is fascinating. Her imagination is always unpredictable and her writing is challenging and compelling.'

Hopefully I do too.























Bruce has written seven books in total in her DC Gary Goodhew series, of which these are the first and second. She also has a couple of non-fiction titles to her name as well as a standalone novel - I Did it For Us, which was published earlier this year.

I'm quite looking forward to these. I used to spend the odd weekend in Cambridge years ago, when my sister was training to be a nurse at Addenbrookes. Additionally I don't read enough police procedurals.

Her website is here.
She's on Twitter - @Alison_Bruce


Cambridge Blue (2008)

DC Gary Goodhew is intelligent and intuitive, the youngest detective at Cambridge's Parkside Station. When he discovers the body of a young woman on Midsummer Common, he is given the chance to work on a murder investigation for the first time in his career.

Soon the victim is identified as Lorna Spence. Richard Moran, her boyfriend and employer, has reported her missing and is distraught to discover that she has been killed. He claims that she was loved by his staff, and that she had no enemies. But it isn't long before Goodhew discovers many who wouldn't have minded seeing her dead, including Spence's high maintenance colleague, Victoria ,and Goodhew's reckless former classmate, Bryn.

They both swear that they have nothing to do with Lorna's death, but someone is lying. After another brutal murder, Goodhew knows it is time to use his own initiative to flush out the killer, even though it means risking his job and discovering the truth about the one person he hopes will be innocent.

The Siren (2009)

All it took was one small item on the regional news for Kimberly Guyver and Rachel Golinski to know that their old life was catching up with them. They wondered how they'd been naive enough to think it wouldn't. They hoped they still had a chance to leave it behind, but within hours, Rachel's home is burning and Kimberly's son, Riley, is missing.

12 comments:

  1. Both titles and covers are enticing, and I have a feeling the writer's narrative is engaging too. I liked the synopsis of CAMBRIDGE BLUE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the third in the series also, I wonder if it features a bridge?

      Delete
  2. I agree with Prashant, Col. Cambridge Blue sounds quite intriguing. Yours and my tastes might just collide on that one. I'll look forward to reading what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, it's always fun when our tastes collide! Hopefully you enjoy it if you give it a whirl!

      Delete
  3. This is an author I really do want to try. The cover of Cambridge Blue looks a bit familiar, so I'd better check in case I have it somewhere among the shelves/stacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've erred before and bought the same book twice. Still better to have two copies rather than none, though my wife might disagree with that sentiment.

      Delete
  4. Col – She has quite a few books listed on Amazon. CAMBRIDGE BLUE sounds like the book for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elgin, I hope you like it if you take a punt.

      Delete
  5. I've read a couple of her books and enjoyed them - I think you'll like them, though might not be quite noir-ish enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of this author. I do like police procedurals, as you know. So, maybe someday.

    And November is all women authors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira enjoyed a couple of her books, and I think you have similar tastes.

      Yes November is an all female reading month for me! I'm enjoying myself so far.

      Delete