Tuesday 20 November 2018

2 BY MAUREEN CARTER

A couple this week from author, journalist and former BBC Newsnight presenter, Maureen Carter.






















I've had a few from her Bev Morriss series on the pile for exactly 10 years and not read them yet. I bought the first three in this series on 20th November, 2008 Amazon helpfully tells me.
Hopefully it won't be another 10 years before I get to them!

Carter has written nine in her Bev Morriss series and five in her Sarah Quinn set of books. A lot of her work seems to be set in and around Birmingham, which is an area of the UK I've not encountered too often in my reading.

Her website is here.
She's on Facebook here
Catch her on Twitter@getcarter4





Working Girls (2001)



Just 15 years old ... brutalised ... dumped in a park ... throat slashed. Schoolgirl prostitute Michelle Lucas died in agony and terror. The sight breaks the heart of DS Bev Morriss of West Midlands Police and a cold fury consumes her.

Plunging herself into the seedy heart of Birmingham's vice-land she struggles to infiltrate the deadly jungle of hookers, evil pimps and violent johns. But no one will break the wall of silence

When a second victim dies Bev has to take the most dangerous gamble of her life - out on the streets.








Dead Old (2005)

Elderly women are being attacked by a vicious group of thugs in Birmingham. When retired doctor Sophia Carrington is murdered, it's assumed she is the gang's latest victim. But detective Sargeant Bev Morris isn't convinced. She is sure the victim's past holds the key to her violent death: that it's a case of terrifying revenged served cold.











Working Girls  - Amazon UK   US    CANADA  AUSTRALIA

Dead Old - Amazon   UK  US  CANADA  AUSTRALIA




13 comments:

  1. I hope you'll like Carter's work, Col. I think her Bev Morriss series is nicely done, with solid and interesting plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot, I'm looking forward to it when I get there!

      Delete
  2. These look good! I wonder if they've made it across the pond . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that they have!

      Delete
    2. Miss Kinberg has read at least one, so hopefully....

      Delete
    3. Yes, but she's read virtually everything, whichever side of the pond it's been published.

      Delete
    4. True enough - and she remembers it all, which is uber-irritating!

      Delete
  3. I will have to try one of her books someday. And I look forward to your reviews.

    Does Margot know that you are talking about her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them Tracy.

      Hmm, don't know - maybe if she subscribes to comments?

      Delete
  4. Yes, I remember Margot mentioning these! She really has read everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman who never sleeps.....I can't explain it otherwise.

      Delete