Friday 4 September 2015

AUGUST 2015 - FILMS AND TV

A few films watched during the month and a bit of TV enjoyed, though that might be stretching things a bit.
I do like a bit of Nicholas Cage although I haven't always enjoyed his films. Joe is based on an early 90s book by Larry Brown - one of my favourite authors. Hard-hitting  - an abusive, alcoholic father, a son trying to make his own path, Joe taking the son under his wings. Time to read more Larry Brown!   

I do like my sport - as long as it isn't equestrianism or gymnastics and its free to view. Beijing 2015 - Usain -insane! The man's awesome! 

Great film, much darker than expected. I could have started watching it again the minute after it finished. Time to get back to Matt Scudder and Lawrence Block's books!

TV series on in the UK at the minute. I've missed a couple of episodes, so not 100% certain what it's all about. Robotics and dodgy programming probably.


A new series, I loved the last couple and we all watch as a family, but I'm done with it now. Same tired  old format and two of the 4 pictured are uber-smug and irritating and as a consequence, I just want to stick my foot through the telly watching them.

Superb film. Britain in the 80s......Thatcher and the Falklands and a group of skinheads. Stephen Graham is funny, sad and dangerous - often at the same time. An uncomfortable, funny, violent, thoughtful film.

Simon Pegg offering - enjoyable. Best film ever? No but entertaining enough.

I usually like a bit of Owen Wilson, but this was a DNF. Just couldn't get into it all.

Enjoyed him in Gladiator and LA Confidential, before he became a bit of a dick and someone's whose films I make the effort to avoid. Watched this with my daughter as it featured Liam Neeson (a family favourite) - Neeson is on screen for about 3 minutes total. So we had two hours plus of Russell - and we really liked it. A schoolteacher tries to break his wife out of prison....tension throughout. Crowe's back on my watch list!

TV series starring Matt Dillon. Dipped in, dipped out, dipped in again. If its on in the house I'll probably watch, if I miss it I don't cry!

Brosnan in a 2014 spy romp as a retired CIA operative back in the game. I enjoyed it, without it being the best film ever. Conspiracies and cover-ups and black-ops and Chechnya.

Missed the first 10 mins, but sat down and watched afterwards and enjoyed it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and something to do with aliens, but all a bit whacky and bizarre. Good fun and much worse ways of spending the time.

Based on a James Patterson collaborative novel (probably). Animals going a bit doolally after receiving infected food (I think). Watched the first episode, hmm ok but unconvinced. Episode 2 paid less attention to. Probably not a keeper!  
I can't recall seeing Radcliffe in too much post- Harry Potter days and I probably wouldn't have chosen this one to view but my daughter had control of the remote. In the end not too bad, there were some thrills and laughs to be had, especially after his horns started sprouting and people felt compelled to reveal every innermost thought to our man. Worth a look in my opinion.

19 comments:

  1. Nice variety of films and series, Col! I like Liam Neeson (and Lawrence Block!). To be honest, I've only liked a few of the Nicholas Cage films I've seen. I'm glad you thought that one was decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot - agreed on Neeson and Block! Nicholas Cage, I quite like. I didn't mind the National Treasure films and I loved him in Matchstick Men.

      Delete
  2. Humans is based on a Swedish series which I thought was pretty weak - good concept but they didn't go anywhere with it, so I doubt you're missing much with the British version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, cheers for stopping by. I think I'll take your advice and skip the rest! I didn't know it had its origins in Sweden though.

      Delete
    2. I had a friend in it so I watched the first few out of loyalty to him... then decided I wasn't loyal enough to put up with the rest ;-))

      Delete
    3. An ex-friend maybe....haha.

      Delete
  3. Interesting batch of viewing for you this month. We've had the Crowe for years and never watched it but do like action so should get to it. Simon Pegg is a favorite and we like The World's End (although of those he made with Nike Frost I think Hot Fuzz is best). Will have to find Happiness (now if only it had Emily Blunt!)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to. Pegg is quite funny. I liked him in Run Fatboy Run........alas no Emily! (Thanks for the memory jog - I need to track down Sunshine Cleaning!)

      Delete
  4. In addition to the ones Glen mentioned, I want to watch November Man someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if it was based on the book by Bill Granger, but I don't think it is as the plot of the book is totally different. I do like Brosnan.

      Delete
    2. According to Wikipedia the movie is based on a later book in the series, the 7th, called There Are No Spies. They just used the title of the first book or the series. So I probably won't worry about reading the book first, but who knows?

      Delete
    3. Tracy cheers. I only looked up the first book and didn't extend myself to check out the rest in the series!

      Delete
  5. Col, I liked both A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES and THE NOVEMBER MAN. I like Liam Neeson's roles. There is something reassuring about his characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I remember liking THE NEXT THREE DAYS too. I don't think it got its due.

      Delete
    2. Neeson's a family favourite. I think we will watch NON-STOP tonight!
      Crowe was excellent in THE NEXT THREE DAYS! I'd forgotten how good he could be.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the kind words. Saw Liam Neeson recently in RUN ALL NIGHT, w/Ed Harris. Really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence thanks for stopping by. Another film to go on the list then. I've enjoyed watching Ed Harris in a few things - Apollo 13 and The Rock.

      Delete
  7. Not much for me there, though I do still always watch Bake Off, highlight of my viewing year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely done with bake off, unless there's a custard pie going in Hollywoods and Perkins smug faces

      Delete