Tuesday 5 July 2022

GEORGES SIMENON - LOCK NO. 1 (1933)

 


Synopsis/blurb....

'There was amusement in Ducrau's eyes. In the inspector's too. They stood looking at each other with the same stifled mirth which was full of unspoken thoughts, perhaps of defiance and maybe too of an odd respect.'

A man hauled out of the Charebnton canal one night; a girl wandering, confused, in a white nightdress ... these events draw Maigret into the world of the charismatic self-made businessman Ducrau, and the misdeeds of his past.

Read, enjoyed, upto a point, not totally understood, move on, next.

Ok, plenty of atmosphere, plenty of mood, there's a death, a near death, and more death in Canal land. Maigret gets close to businessman Ducarau, who has just lost his son to suicide (one of the above). Ducrau seems to despicse his family and all those close to him. There's a game of mental chess with Maigret, before a resolution.

My second time with Simenon and Maigret. I enjoyed my previous encounter more - Maigret's Dead Man but I'll be back for more. 


3 from 5

Read - May, 2021
Published - 1933
Page count - 176
Source - Leighton Buzzard library
Format - Paperback

8 comments:

  1. I've always thought that's one thing Simenon did very well, Col - atmosphere. He did (I think) great descriptions and character buildup, so that you really feel what's going on. I'm glad you liked this one enough to read another, even if it didn't sweep you away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, there was a lot I enjoyed about the book without it taking off. I'll definitely try more from him.

      Delete
  2. This is a very early one...the first several books he was still finding his way with the character....it wasn't until the early 1940s that he really hit his stride imho....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight. I'm not giving up on him yet!

      Delete
  3. Nice review. Early in the year I said I would be reading more Maigret books (and other books by Simenon) but so far I have read none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, that always seem to happen to me. I would like to read something else by him before the year is out.

      Delete
  4. Hey, also working my way through Maigret. Comforting to know another reader felt the stuff was a bit awkward. I do agree: atmosphere and short page counts do help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it and didn't regret reading it but it did leaving me scratching my head a bit. Yeah, it is good to know it's not just me.

      Delete