Wednesday 26 September 2018

2 BY LAWRENCE BLOCK

A couple this week from one of my favourite authors, Lawrence Block.





















I've enjoyed many books by him and still have many more to enjoy on the pile. Block is a prolific writer - maybe was a prolific writer is more apt these days as he seems to have slowed a bit in his latter years.

He has five series to his name - Bernie the Burglar, Evan Tanner, Chip Harrison, Keller (a hitman) and Matt Scudder, and about a gazillion other titles. I'm never bored when reading him.

Favourites of mine are Keller and Scudder. I've not engaged with Tanner or Harrison yet and only partaken of the odd Bernie book, which isn't enough to form a firm opinion on.

The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (1979)



Bookseller, thief - Bernie Rhodenbarr can't resist the lure or a long lost Kipling poem, even if it is locked inside a millionaire's high security library. So Bernie goes browsing and sure enough he liberates the object in question...but also finds a dead redhead and is caught with the proverbial smoking gun by those boys in blue, who are ready to book Bernie for Murder One!

3rd in series with about 11 in total plus a few short stories. I can't even remember which one(s) I might have read.











Even the Wicked (1996)

New York's latest celebrity serial killer has a penchant for announcing his murderous intentions to the media before carrying through on his threats. P.I. Matthew Scudder races against time to find the frighteningly efficient killer who calls himself "The Will of the People''.

Number 13 from about 17 or so. I did start reading the series front to back - one a month a few years ago, but got distracted after about 5 or 6. I'll have to get back to it in 2019.

12 comments:

  1. It's hard to go wrong with Lawrence Block, Col. I really am in awe of his productivity. And what's more, everything I've read by him is well done. Some work I like better than other work, but never dud among them. I really respect that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed some more than others myself, but they are rarely dull, Margot.

      Delete
  2. There's something about the writing styles of writers like Lawrence Block and the late Ed Gorman. So clear, simple and effective that you feel like reading their books in one sitting and then pick up another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, I don't think I've read anything full length from Ed Gorman - I'll have to check the tubs to see if I have anything, not that I'm hurting for books.

      Delete
    2. Col, you'll like Ed Gorman's novels. He wrote realistic and powerful stories with endearing and emotional characters.

      Delete
    3. I'll keep an eye out for any that cross my path. I'm not going to be pro-active as such - too much to read already.

      Delete
  3. Col – Block is a favorite of mine, too. His writing always seemed so easy, although I am sure it took hard work and years of practice to make it that way. I have not read many of the Bernie Rhodenbarr stories, but I recall them being lighter fare than the Scudder books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elgin, yes it just seems to flow for him and from him doesn't it? I've not read too many Burglar books myself either - Chooser in 2011, but I'll be keen to see a different and softer character of his in more than the single scrape.

      Delete
  4. I want to read more of the Burglar series and more of the Matt Scudder series. I have just scratch the surface on both of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try and get back to my one a month series reading - so I can hopefully complete the Scudder series next year, followed by Keller then the burglar.

      Delete
  5. Now here's where our tastes collide! I still have a lot to read by him, and always willing to take a recommendation. I nearly met him in New York earlier this year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I have loads to get to from him. Maybe when you're up for next year's awards you'll be bolder!

      Delete