Saturday 5 October 2019

SEPTEMBER 2019 - FILMS + TV (HOME VIEWING)

Slim pickings on the face of it, which isn't exactly true. I was on holiday for a week, my youngest daughter celebrated her 21st, which in her mind was the start of a month long family carnival of celebration, plus we had about seven trips to the cinema in the month. I can hardly watch TV at home, if I'm looking at the big screen!

Anyway - two series completed, which called for a few sessions of binge watching.


The Handmaid's Tale - Season 3 (2019) - TV DRAMA

The last five episodes watched, one of which bored me to tears - the episode where Offred or whatever she's currently titled sits in the hospital for days, week, months - the whole episode waiting for a child to be born. We had about 5 minutes where something actually happened. Once that was out of the way, it was thrilling, frightening, hands in mouth, scary and disturbing. 

I'm going to have to read the book by Margaret Attwood and her latest offering The Testaments which is a continuation, I think. I've not looked into it too deeply. I'm curious to see how far the show wanders from the book.

Amazing acting, plays with your sympathies as by turn you love and hate various characters, usually before settling on the hate section of the barometer.... Aunt Lydia, the Waterfords - I'm thinking of you. Nice to see two out of three get theirs.

The climax was typically scary and tense, sort of watch from behind the sofa TV. 

Roll on Season Four - something I feel is kind of inevitable.

From Google.....

Based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood, this series is set in Gilead, a totalitarian society in what used to be part of the United States. Gilead is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, and is faced with environmental disasters and a plummeting birth rate. In a desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world, the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude. One of these women, Offred, is determined to survive the terrifying world she lives in, and find the daughter that was taken from her.



Stranger Things - Season 3 (2019) - NETFLIX DRAMA
I've enjoyed the first couple of series and the third was no exception. I don't totally buy into the supernatural elements, but it's great fun watching a bunch of lovable hormonal teenagers getting into mischief while in danger, from not just the monster from the other dimension, but a bunch of crazy Russians.

Love David Harbour, love Winona Ryder, love the curly-haired kid. He's my favourite I think - Gaten Matarazzo. I especially liked the friendships between him and the ice-cream gang - character names escape me.

All good fun, though at times it does play on your emotions as there is death and loss and grief in with the humour and adventure.


From Wikipedia......

The third season of the American science fiction horror web television series Stranger Things, titled Stranger Things 3, was released worldwide on Netflix's web streaming service on July 4, 2019. The series was created by the Duffer Brothers, who are also executive producers along with Shawn Levy, Dan Cohen, and Iain Paterson.

Set in the summer of 1985, the third season stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Sadie Sink, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Joe Keery, Dacre Montgomery, Maya Hawke, Priah Ferguson, and Cara Buono. Cary Elwes, Jake Busey, Michael Park, and Francesca Reale appear in recurring roles.

8 comments:

  1. Happy 21st to your daughter, Col! I say it's worth a month of the cinema. I do hope you read the Atwood at some point; I'd like to know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind wishes, Margot. The cinema was much enjoyed in the month, as were these two very different series. I'm looking forward to trying Margaret Attwood's books at some point.

      Delete
  2. I too have The Handmaid's Tale -- the novel, that is -- on my nightstand. While Pam has The Testaments on hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boom, I bet you get to it first. Not tempted by the dramatisation?

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried either one of these series. I did read The Handmaid's Tale. It was a very, very good book that I did not enjoy. Thus my avoidance of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the series may be uncomfortable for you to watch. It's not for the faint of heart.

      Delete
  4. Stranger Things – Season 1 was absolutely great. But I thought Season 2 was a waste of time. Friends have been telling me Season 3 is really good, but I’m not sure I want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it kind of has peaks and troughs throughout all the seasons. When the kids are goofing around, I'm loving it.... the friendships, the adventures, the teasing. The supernatural elements and monster fighting not quite so much.

      Delete