Monday 21 October 2019

2 BY KATE ATKINSON

A couple from Kate Atkinson. She's not an author I have read before or ever really considered until recently when a couple of Goodreads friends posted reviews for her Jackson Brodie series.






















Atkinson has written five books in her Jackson Brodie  series and at least half a dozen other works. The Brodie's are the ones I think I'll enjoy the most.

Heartbreak, humour, thrills, intricate plot...... what's not to like?

Early 2020, I'll find out. I'm kind of hoping he's a bit like Jackson Lamb - you never know!
Probably not, but it would be nice to be mates with two Jacksons, I'd only be three short then and I could form a band.


Jackson Brodie
1. Case Histories (2004)
2. One Good Turn (2006)
3. When Will There Be Good News (2008)
4. Started Early, Took My Dog (2010)
5. Big Sky (2019)



Case Histories (2004)

The scene is set in Cambridge, with three case histories from the past: A young child who mysteriously disappeared from a tent in her back garden; An unidentified man in a yellow jumper who marched into an office and slashed a young girl through the throat; and a young woman found by the police sitting in her kitchen next to the body of her husband, an axe buried in his head. Jackson Brodie, a private investigator and former police detective, is quietly contemplating life as a divorced father when he is flung into the midst of these resurrected old crimes. Julia and Amelia Land, long having given up hope of uncovering the truth of what happened to their baby sister, Olivia, suddenly discover her lost toy mouse in the study of their recently-deceased father. Enlisting Jackson's help they embroil him in the complexities of their own jealousies, obsessions and lust. A woman named Shirley needs Jackson to help find her lost niece. Amidst the incessant demands of the Land sisters, Jackson meets solicitor Theo Wyre whose daughter, Laura, was murdered in his office and, now that the police case has been closed, is desperate for Jackson to help him lay Laura's ghost to rest. As he starts his investigations Jackson has the sinister feeling that someone is following him. As he begins to unearth secrets that have remained hidden for many years, he is assailed by his former wife's plan to take his young daughter away to live in New Zealand, and his stalker becomes increasingly malevolent and dangerous. In digging into the past Jackson seems to have unwittingly threatened his own future.This wonderfully crafted, intricately plotted novel is heartbreaking, uplifting, full of suspense and often very funny, and shows Kate Atkinson returning to the literary scene at the height of her powers.

When Will There Be Good News? (2008)

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...

On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...

At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...

These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

6 comments:

  1. I'll be really interested in what you think of Atkinson, Col. Most people I know are not neutral about her, and I have to say, her writing style isn't typical (if there is such a thing). I look forward to what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only encountered positive comments about her work, Margot.

      Delete
    2. Well, here's a negative one. I read her first Jackson Brodie one and didn't like it. I read her second, though, because of its setting at the Edinburgh Festival. I decided not to read any more.

      Because of all the buzz about her work, I keep meaning to try one of her non-crime novels. Haven't got there yet, though.

      However, so many people obviously like her Brodie novels a lot that my comments shouldn't be allowed to put you off! (Not that I imagine it would, anyway, :)) There's every chance you'll like them.

      Delete
    3. Ha, a dissenting voice at last. Goes to prove no one book or author appeals to everyone.

      Delete
  2. I love the Jackson Brodie series, some books more than others, but I can easily see why they would not work for everyone. The 2nd book in the series was my least favorite, and I have not read the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I must admit I've probably ignored these for too long, maybe thinking not for me, but I'm happy to try them and see the error of my ways!

      Delete