Saturday 23 October 2021

TONY KNIGHTON - THREE HOURS PAST MIDNIGHT (2017)




Synopsis/blurb ...

His last job a disaster, a professional thief teams with an old partner eager for one last score – a safe in the home of a wealthy Philadelphia politician. But they are not the only ones set on the cash. His partner dead and the goods missing, he hunts for his money and the killer to find out that this may have been a job best left undone.

“A pitch-perfect tale of crime and consequences. Just try and put it down before the last page. I dare you.” -- Charles Ardai Editor, Hard Case Crime

My kind of book. An unnamed protagonist steals a safe and things go downhill from there. His partner is subsequently murdered. The safe - contents unknown, money hopefully - goes missing and he himself is targeted and shot at. Our main man, sets out to recover his goods, over the course of an extremely busy night. No rest for the wicked!

Unsentimental, ruthless, capable, intelligent, determined and decisive - our nameless thief was interesting company for a bumpy ride around the dark streets of Philadelphia. Tony Knighton imbues his main character with just enough likability that I was rooting for him to succeed. While obstacles in his path are dispassionately dealt with, I never felt that his actions were gratuitous or that his victims were undeserving.

I'm a massive fan of the professional thief in my crime fiction and Knighton's anti-hero easily stands alongside some of my genre favourites - Stark/Westlake's Parker, Max Allan Collins and Nolan and more latterly SA Cosby's Beauregard Montage. Fortunately Tony Knighton has just recently had a second book published featuring the same guy - A Few Days Away. (Just as fantastic!)

Exciting, gripping and extremely satisfying. Highly recommended.

4.5 from 5
  
Read - October, 2021
Published - 2017
Page count - 192
Source - purchased copy
Format - Kindle

Brash Books have recently re-published this, along with the author's latest - A Few Days Away


4 comments:

  1. I can see how this appealed to you, Col. It really does sound like your sort of book. I'm already drawn in by the setting; I consider Philadelphia home, so it'd be interesting to see how it's portrayed here. And it sounds as though there are some interesting characters, which always leaven a book for me. Glad you liked it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I'm annoyed at myself for not reading it when it dropped, but it was well worth the wait!

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting. I see that this is called the Nameless Thief series. I have a weakness for nameless protagonists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Only two books so far. Get on board early!

      Delete