Saturday 18 March 2017

JOE R. LANSDALE - THE STEEL VALENTINE (1991)


Synopsis/blurb….

“Even before Morley told him, Dennis knew things were about to get ugly. A man did not club you unconscious, bring you to his estate and tie you to a chair in an empty storage shed out back of the place if he merely intended to give you a valentine. Morley had found out about him and Julie.”

A short story in the tradition of Fleming or Dahl, “The Steel Valentine” is a gem, exemplifying the suspense writing of Joe Lansdale.

Another short February read and a chance to keep the scoreboard ticking over on my reading stats.
Joe Lansdale serves up a gritty and graphic tale of a cuckolded husband exacting a little bit of retribution.

“Spare me the innocent act, lover boy. You’ve been laying the pipe to Julie, and I don’t like it.”

Morley, the husband and Dennis, the boyfriend discuss their differences in a storage shed, only instead of port and a couple of cigars, one’s been beaten unconscious and tied up with ropes. Seven hungry Dobermans await the conclusion of the talks.
Graphic violence, humour in our verbal exchanges and a satisfying outcome. I do like the author’s work.

Bonus material includes an introduction to his book Waltz of Shadows

4 from 5

Joe R. Lansdale has his website here. You can grab a free short story from him every Thursday I believe.


Read in February, 2017
Published 1991 (my e-version was released 2011)
Page count – 29
Source – Amazon purchase, probably free

Format - Kindle

10 comments:

  1. I have been reading about Joe R. Lansdale's work. I will check out his short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prashant, a few are also free on Amazon I believe as well as his website.

      Delete
  2. Short stories really can be great alternatives, Col. I'll admit, this one is probably not for me. But I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. I'm sure you would enjoy some of his work, but yes probably not so much this one.

      Delete
  3. Col – Lansdale’s humor is a hoot, and mixed with the violence makes it funnier and ghastly at the same time. I will add it to the Kindle. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elgin - agreed. This is a good filler read, I'm sure you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. Someday I am going to read something by Lansdale. Based on recent reviews of his books, his writing may be too violent for me, but still going to read one to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, there's plenty for you to choose from and I hope you can find something agreeable for you. I'm going to keep reading him, there's plenty of novels in the tubs.

      Delete
  5. I have read some Lonsdale, but am happy not to start on his short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like them and they keep me crunching the numbers.

      Delete