Tuesday 8 March 2016

2 BY RICHARD STARK (AKA DONALD E. WESTLAKE)

A couple this week from Richard Stark, a pseudonym of Donald E. Westlake.





















Under the Stark pseudonym Westlake wrote 24 novels featuring a thief called Parker. I’ve read the first 16 in the series, all of which were published between 1962 and 1974. He took about 20 years off before returning with a further 8 books in the series, Comeback appearing in 1997. I have the second coming of Parker books, but haven’t yet read any of them.
Alan Grofield was a minor character in at least one of the earlier Parker books and ended up having a mini-series of his own. As well as these two, there is The Damsel (1967) and Lemons Never Lie (1971).

Westlake died in 2008 with over 100 published novels to his name(s). I doubt I’ll ever read more than half of them if I’m lucky.

I will have a good go though. After I eventually finish up with Parker and Grofield, the Westlake - Dormunder series awaits!









The Dame (1969)


Alan Grofield is a part-time actor and part-time thief. When working on a heist with a guy named Parker, he's all business. On his own, he's ready for anything at all, especially if it involves a woman. The first time Grofield sees Belle Danemato at her villa in the Puerto Rican jungle, she makes him an offer he can readily refuse. The next time he sees her, she's dead. And her husband, mob boss B.G. Danemato, can't get it out of his head that Grofield is responsible. To get out of this alive, Grofield can take his chances against the mobster's men in the perilous depths of the rain forest or find the real killer without delay. B.G. expects blood, and he wants it yesterday.

"Entertaining and inventive - a welcome addition to Mr. Westlake's Dortmunder and Parker series." (B-O-T Editorial Review Board)






The Blackbird (1969)


Alan Grofield is a part-time actor. The rest of the time, he's a thief. If asked, many men would willingly risk their lives for their country. But no one did Grofield the courtesy of asking. Rather than go to jail after a botched robbery, Grofield is handed an alternative that lands him in the Canadian wilderness where Third World delegates have secretly gathered for momentous purposes. The situation is volatile, maybe lethal, and so is the beautiful African from Undurwa whose presence propels Grofield toward a wild and unexpected climax.

11 comments:

  1. Nice choice for a feature, Col. I have to admit I've even got a Westlake coming up on my In The Spotlight feature in a couple of weeks. You're right that he was prolific. Hope that you'll enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks, I did spot you have one scheduled for a couple of week's time! Happy days!
      From the write-ups these may not be as lean as the Parker's but I think I will get on well with them.

      Delete
  2. I have to confess that I like his comic Westlake items a lot more than I like his Westlake or Stark hardboileds. He had a great comic wit (although sometimes it was misdirected), and at his best could be as inventively funny as people like (in their different fields) Hiaason and Pratchett.

    I have on my shelves right now a couple of Westlake's hardboilers and what I think is the last of his Dortmunders. I know which is the one that pulls me more . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the reverse I reckon. I've not tried many of his comedy Dortmunders, only the first and I far preferred Parker. I'm willing to give them a good go though.

      Delete
  3. I will be waiting to see what you think of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Col, I still got around to reading Westlake/Stark though I did enjoy "Parker" starring Mel Gibson and another version that I don't remember too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have been "...still haven't got around to reading..."

      Delete
    2. I think there was one with Lee Marvin years ago and maybe a more recent remake with Jason Statham.
      I hope you eventually get around to reading something by Westlake or his various nom de plume's.

      Delete
  5. I have read some Westlake, but not Stark. One day maybe...

    ReplyDelete