Thursday 13 November 2014

OLEN STEINHAUER - YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON

Synopsis/blurb……..

"You Know What's Going On" is a novella (47 pages in the printed edition) originally published in Agents of Treachery, an espionage-fiction anthology edited by Otto Penzler.

Like my recent books (The TouristThe Nearest Exit), "You Know What's Going On" deals with spies and spying, but with this story I wanted to move away from the European setting of most of my novels, and into Africa--specifically, Kenya and Somalia. I also wanted to deal with something I've kept at arm's length--Muslim extremism. Add to this Somali pirates, self-loathing Western agents, and a disastrous stop-over in Rome before heading on to Nairobi, and you have...well, you have the makings for some explosions.

I hope you enjoy it. If you do, then of course don't resist the impulse to run out and purchase my back catalog, but I'd also suggest picking up a copy of Agents of Treachery--it's an excellent collection for any fan of spy fiction. For fans of the genre, I'd call it required reading.

Another short but enjoyable read which keep the numbers ticking over. And as the man himself recommends above, I’d buy his back catalogue if I didn't already own it.

I think I have yet to be disappointed by his writing and this tale is no exception. What I like about him is how he hooks you into the story within a few short pages.     

We've an interesting mix of characters and our tale is narrated by alternate protagonists in each chapter; Paul, Nabil, Sam and Benjamin. Intrigue, betrayal, deceit, cowardice, loyalty, extremism with the odd pirate thrown in. Populated by a diverse cast, each with their own agenda and goals. Steinhauer pitches the reader inside everyman’s head. In a couple of instances our characters’ loyalties and motives seem to be set on a personal, rather than ideological level.

4 from 5

I have managed to read a couple from Steinhauer this year, one full length novel and another short piece.

Early 2015, in March he has another novel out – All the Old Knives. I've no idea what it’s about at this stage, but I’ll be looking out for it.
        

Bought last year or early this year on Amazon for Kindle

10 comments:

  1. Well you and Tracy have already sold me on Mr S - glad you enjoyed this one too. I'll probably go for another full-length novel next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you try from him next. I think as I come across his older ones when logging, I will try and keep them close and get caught up before starting the MILO WEAVER books.

      Delete
  2. Col - This does sound like a good 'un. Glad you liked it. I agree, too; those shorter stories can be really effective at raking up the reads in the 'I read' column...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot thanks. This month and next will be laden with shorter stuff - I would like to at least complete one of my challenges this year, if I'm sort of bending the rules!

      Delete
  3. Col, I'm going to have to read "The Vienna Assignment" first before I read this or any of Olen Steinhauer's other novels. I bought that book quite recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will be in safe hands, Prashant. Roll on the weekend - you can start it then pal!

      I'll keep en eye out for your review,

      Delete
  4. I looked for ALL THE OLD KNIVES at Amazon (US) and the description sounds interesting and it is not very long. I am sure I will get it ... maybe when it comes out if I have finished THE AMERICAN SPY by then. I am sure I will get around to this one sometime too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL THE OLD KNIVES just appeared on Net Galley in the last day or two, if you're interested!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know, Col. Under normal circumstances I would be, but I have two to read fairly soon and another stack of books to finish by the end of the year.

      Delete
    3. Tracy that's fine, I'm sure it will be around for a while and I don't think there will be any danger of not tracking a copy down once it's been published.

      Delete